Tuesday, October 26, 2010

1st snow and new family member!

We had a VERY exciting day. Night after night, the kids have spent their evenings trying on their snow clothes and wishing for snow. This morning, their long awaited dream came true. We had our first snow at our new home on Craigleith.

I had planned a day ago to drive to the city today for some shopping, but decided to be a wimp my first year back and not try the highway. Brian said that was good since they were reporting on the radio that all of Southern Saskatchewan was very slippery. It's supposed to warm up and melt in the next couple of days, so I'll venture out then.

In other excitement, Ivan was invited to a halloween party by one of his classmates Sat. The mom offered that I could stay and bring the girls too, so that I can meet some other parents. Ivan wants to be Darth Vader, so today, Dominique and I painted a box from one of his gifts black and made it into a Darth Vader mask.

Also in honor of our first snow day, I made bread (in the bread machine!) and soup ;)





And last, but not at all least, another good way to celebrate a first snow day is to add another warm body to the house. Ivan has been wanting his own pet and we had planned on getting another cat anyways, so he now gets to care for it! We told him a kitten was part of his birthday gift. The girls and I went to the pet store early in the day and played with the kittens, then Brian, Ivan and Dominique went after school to buy our new pet. There were about 7 kittens, but only 3 were female and one of those was long haired, which I didn't want, so that left 2 tabbies that looked about the same. He named her Tinker and she is so sweet- sitting right now on my lap- away from Saba who is at my feet, poised to follow the newbie relentlessly.

Emora totally loves the cat too and so far, out of all our names can already pronounce "Tinker" the best. This is actually the first time we have had a kitten. Our other two cats were teenagers when we got them. It's so cute how she runs all around and plays with things.

2 comments:

Ian said...

We got our first snow too but look forward to it melting so that I can empty the pond, take in the goldfish, put up snow fence, take in the pool liner....yikes, I'm not ready for winter.

GMS said...

Tinker looks sweet. Ivan should learn responsibility caring for your new member.
Congrats.