Thursday, October 21, 2010

Birthday bash #1







Ivan and I enjoyed a great birthday, he turned 6 and I turned a bit more. He was born on my 31st birthday, so you can figure out the math. Part of my gift included a visit from Lin, her daughter Jac and Darrin. It's been so long since we've seen each other that she hadn't met any of my kids and I hadn't met Jac, so that was extra special. They drove "only" 9 hours to come see us. Darrin works in Fort McMurray which is 16 hours from where they live in Yellowknife, NWT. If you are an American reading this and don't know where that is, you've got to look it up, it's WAY up there! He makes the commute every 2 weeks, so to them 9 hours was a hop and jump over. They only got to stay the day, but we managed a big cousin party while they were here. Sheena and Ian are Lin's 1st cousins, so Lin is actually my 2nd cousin, but she lived in the same city as I did most of our growing up, so we spent a ton and ton of time together from junior high through high school. Part of her treat was to also get us an ice cream cake from dairy queen. The dairy queens in the states make them different from the ones here (we know, because we tried it my first year there). My family traditionally gets an ice cream cake for birthdays and after 12 years, I had one of the good ol Canada made ones for my birthday once again.

The girls, who NEVER let me do their hair were of course delighted to let Lin do their's.



Ivan had a special program this morning before school that he really enjoyed Monday, but decided to opt out of so that he could have those last minutes with Jacqueline. In 24 hours, she had become "my best cousin ever!" But I'm sure by the weekend, Imogen or Arwen will move back into that title again.

I have a bit of a cold and I always forget how freezing it can be at the beach, which has about taken my voice away. We lasted long enough at the beach to watch the flock of Canadian geese take to flight, for the girls to each have a few pushes on the swings and for them to throw a few rocks in the water before we were frozen. The weather is actually very nice in the neighborhoods, but get into the open with the wind whipping off the lake and it gets pretty nippy.



4 comments:

Olivia said...

Happy Birthday again! I am so glad to see you celebrated and had a wonderful day. I love you all.

Kimberley said...

I am jealous that Lin has met your kids. Hopefully we will be able to get together next summer sometime. It looks like Emora didn't have any problems warming up to Lin.

Davis Family said...

So nice to get to see Linda. Hope you both had a wonderful birthday party. It has been party central here too. Only one more to go for a bit!

Lin said...

So I don't mind the pics being posted BUT you couldn't have cropped the one of me reading to them to NOT show my shorts, lol! Oh Well, I loved the visit and honestly 9 hours is not that big of a deal and I think with Darrin's driving it actually only took about 7. Google overestimates driving times also!