Thursday, August 19, 2010

So tired

I am so tired of unpacking and we still have a ways to go. There are mountains, in fact entire mountain ranges of clothes to sort and put somewhere. The hard part is that we are sandwhiching the kids into one room and they have so many clothes, plus I need to get some warmer clothes out too AND Emora is growing out of one size and moving into another, if I weren't so modest, I would seriously think of moving to a nudist colony to just avoid all the work of it. Good news is that the kitchen is nearly unpacked. There are a few things missing, one being my waffle iron, so we are about to try hunting it down.

Moving day went great. We had 2 trucks and a van being loaded and unloaded all day. Mike (my cousin) and Brian did most the packing and unpacking since I was on kid duty most the day. Mike counted 13 trips to get everything over. The worst part of the day was that we had planned to stay in our new house the night, Brian and I were beyond tired and he was trying to put the bunkbed and our bed together, the kids were crazy hyper and tired and we had no idea where sheets, towels or anything was, despite all our careful packing and labeling. The best part was being in our own home.

The next day was consumed with me trying to get the kitchen unpacked and Brian trying to get the fridge to fit. I've pretty much been unpacking everything, because he ends up having to saw off some of a cabinet, move another cabinet, move a cable. I found a phone cable coming out of the heat register behind the front door in fact. I should probably tell him about that too, but the list seems to get bigger before it gets shorter. Still hadn't found towels, some sheets were found. Worst part was realizing I had only 2 drawers about a foot and a half wide in all the kitchen. Best part was realizing that silverware doesn't have to go in a drawer, a cupboard, albeit unconventional, works just fine.

Today was another monster day, although the morning felt pretty unsuccessful. I unpacked a found "kitchen" box and it only had a few kitchen items, none of which were the waffle iron, however, after being totally bored with eating p&j, Ivan saw a ramen noodle, I pulled out food offerings of potatoe salad, some fruit and fresh farm vegies from my uncle and we had a first real meal in our home. Then I drove to the city by myself (yeah) for the biggest shopping spree of my entire life. I had to do it in two sections. I did all the toiletries and pantry foods in the first run. The cart was full to overflowing, quite litterally- I had to pick up the giant toilet paper set a few times and I could barely push the cart. It had taken me 1.5 hours and cost $231 and change. Then I hauled it out to the van and went back for the next run. It cost about the same, but I ended on a great note, finding chicken for super cheap. Food here is very expensive and chicken is the worst, so I was all pumped and know I got about twice the amount of groceries for the price that I could have gotten in town. Wost moment- being indecisive about a shower curtain and pushing my monster cart through a giant store. Best moment- Brian saying "good" after I called with each run to tell him what the tally was and seeing the fridge, freezer and pantry with food in it, and eating delicious frozen pizza and salad for supper.

2 comments:

Nana said...

You have to have waffles!!

GMS said...

WOW!!!
What a woman and what a family.
Great story to treasure & I have the feeling you won't be going any where else too soon.
Hope the lost shows up soon.
Where Mary Poppins when you really need her.