Monday, November 19, 2007

to the barnyard in his cowboy boots






Ivan was given some pretty cool cowboy boots. He loves them. He's also been studying his baby Einstein video about farms. We aren't farmers, none of us have lived on farms. I tried milking a cow once and got two drops from the cow and a laugh out of my grandfather (he actually farmed, but his farm was a little far for us to visit- continent and oceans away in Jamaica). So I really can't say I know a thing about farming. And yet, Ivan has become fascinated with tractors, farms and his cowboy boots. He wanted us to take him to his barnyard. He didn't understand when I told him that we aren't all alloted a barnyard at birth. Has baby Einstein failed to teach our children a critical step in all the vast worlds they portray? Like the simple fact that: "Ivan- you live in Abilene, Texas and while you may hear a rooster on some odd morning while passing by city property, they aren't supposed to be there. We are by definition city dwellers".

Luckily, we have a friend who lives out of town and she has some animals. I don't think it would be considered a farm per se. Farms
do things like raise animals and food to eat. My friends have goat pets. She won't even eat their chickens, or turkeys, yet alone a goat. She has gotten to the place of allowing herself to eat her chicken's eggs. So, we are still a long way from any hands on learning of actual farming life- apart from those nifty little videos that is!




Also seen here is Big Buddy, our neighbor, who is lamenting the fact that we are leaving town tomorrow. Wait 'till he finds out we're going to Canada for a month! Yep, you read it right. Mom's booking the tickets as I type.

The big plastic thing is a birthday gift from another neighbor. It's a giant submarine and tons of fun.


2 comments:

Ian said...

Would you believe that both my grandfathers were farmers (they owned a quarter section of land each) and my dad (your other grandfather) was also a farmer for a while. I suspect that if you go a little way back on Brian's side you will find a farm background also. So, maybe that instinct is coming out in Ivan.

Anonymous said...

Both of my grandfathers were farmers also Ian, so you are correct about Brians background.