Wednesday, November 28, 2007

not a baby anymore

My baby is not a baby anymore. We changed her crib into a toddler bed and she is so proud of herself that she can get out of her bed all by herself. It makes the night ritual both easier and harder. Harder because if she doesn't think she's ready to go to sleep, she gets up and walks out about 5o times; easier, because I can rub her back, or snuggle beside her or read books comfortably and send her off to la la land in a dreamy happy bliss of warmth.

Dominique is the most polite kid I know, if you measure politeness by saying "thank you". I tried counting how many times she said "thank you" in one day and lost count. She said it 3 times before we got to the breakfast table. I picked her up and gave her a kiss and she said "thank you". She handed me something and I took it and she said "thank you". And if I don't say "your welcome" immediately, she just keeps repeating "thank you, thank you, thank you", until I reply. So it all adds up pretty quick.

Then there are moments when I remember that she's not all grown up yet. I pulled her into bed this morning when I wasn't quite ready to get up and she was making nursing noises in her sleep. I haven't nursed her in over 4 months! It will be nice when she can use more words too. So far her solution to frustrations or misunderstanding is to scream.

4 comments:

Ian said...

The pure delight in such a simple thing as "It's snowing!" is wonderful to capture. As Dominique would say, "Thank you."

GMS said...

I want to see the dance and song when they both see the snow and feel the cold in Canada.

Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

I knew Ivan was a Canadian when you didn't have snow there for so many years and then to have it snow the year he was born,and each year since.
Love you mom.

Nana said...

What a delight to see the excitment of God's handy work. Awesome!!