Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Bodacious beach










Our visit to what I erroneously label the ocean. 1st pic- Ivan making a sand angel. Next pic, his sand slide. Apparently, this is not the ocean. It is a gulf. Perhaps we can mark this up to me being from a landlocked province. Landlocked as in half a week to get to any substantial mass of water like an ocean or perhaps it comes from my total dislike of social studies- but I still don't get it. This supposed "bay" gets water from the ocean, sends it's water back to the ocean, mixes at some place with the ocean, but here it's now a bay. They should call it an ocean suburb or ocean outlet, maybe ocean cul-de-sac.

This is like when one of our main streets suddenly changes names. The poor visitor drives down the large, totally straight thoroughfare called Mockingbird- innocently looking for an intersecting street when suddenly, he looks up and discovers that not only has he not found his 2nd street, but he has also lost the very large thoroughfare called "Mockingbird". Without turning, or blinking his eyes, he is now on "Barrow" and very much lost. Someone in the street naming department is having a good laugh.

To all you Galveston, Texas "gulf" people- this is just to let you know that this Saskatchewanean will not be fooled. Change the name all you want. The water is salty and there are waves. I know about lakes and rivers, puddles and burst pools (ask cousin Kris- it wasn't me!), but what you got is a bunch of ocean water lapping onto your gulf's shores.

We had a blast as you can tell. I think I could go to the beach everyday and not get bored. And thanks to everyone for the encouragement. Ivan has raving reviews about the ocean and beach and doesn't mention his fierce sunburn. They are both turning a very pretty brown color. It may have cost dearly, but they are definitely no longer neon white (their birth color).

Have you been to the ocean? What's your favorite: ocean, lake, river, pool, waterfall and why.

12 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I like everything water, so this is tough, but I think my favorite is the ocean. I love the waves, the roar, the pounding repetition, the gifts of seashells, the vastness, swimming out, surfing in, tipping in toes, embracing it and being embraced in the salty wildness.

GMS said...

Galveston was okay because it was close when I was in Houston, but, Corpus Christi is a much prettier beach. The sand is whiter and cleaner down in Corpus.

I do agree with you about the whole gulf thing. I don't know how the people who officially name things come up with that.

Now we need to see sunburn pictures. Did you take any?

Anonymous said...

"The Cul-de-sac of Mexico" hmmm
kinda grows on ya. LOL!!!!

When I was was growing up in Houston, we would frequently go to galveston on day trips. It was the only beach I knew, and therefore my favorite. So, I empathize with Ivan's enthusiasm. He will probably see prettier beaches someday, but his first favorite beach will always be special, because of childhood memories. People in this part of the country love Cape Cod beach, and I don't get it. But I know that most visitors to Galveston don't get it either, because there's no childhood memory attached, no first beach love.

Anonymous said...

I have been too the Baltic Sea, the North Sea, the Mediterranean Sea, the Irish Sea, the Scotish Sea, the Pacific and the Atlantic. *lol*

And since I like water overall I don't have any preferences. The ocean is lovely, just like a lake or a river. Every single one has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Though did you noticed that there are two words for the same thing??? Because I think an ocean and a sea are pretty much the same thing. No?

Heather said...

I love the ocean and waterfalls. Best holiday was driving up the coast from mid Oregon to BC on a motorcycle. Hanging out on the beach was fantastic - the smell, the sound, the vastness...

Favorite parent memory is when we took the girls out to Victoria Island when they were young and them standing on driftwood striking a pose and singing "Surfing in the USA".

Though I do like waterfalls too, and have many a picture of them in my photo albums.

Sounds like you are creating lots of wonderful family memories!!

Monica said...

I loved snorkelling in the ocean around Cozumel, Mexico, because it was so warm and so much to see, but there is something to be said for swimming in water that you don't mind if it gets in your mouth (Heritage Lake, for example)!

Lady J said...

I love the ocean too, mostly because I also come from a landlocked province! Growing up in SK it was always fun to hang out and swim at Emma Lake in the summer. I love living in a city where there's a nice river to get my water fix when there's no lakes or oceans nearby! I can't wait for our big trip to Australia in 2008 for my friend's wedding, so I can try my hand at surfing on some of the world's most famous beaches! Until then...there's always the Bow River to admire, that runs through beautiful Calgary!

I have it on good authority from a tugboat captain, that although they call it a Gulf, it's definately the ocean, with ocean water! It's just the formation of the land around it that makes it a Gulf...like Bay, Peninsula, Basin etc. An island is still an island whether it's in the middle of an ocean or a lake!

Nana said...

It was a shock the first time I saw Galveston. Having lived in California the first 20 + years I visited the beaches there alot. Beautiful and clean. Now after seeing the beaches of Hawaii and the Caribean. Ca. beaches have to take a backseat. Undeniably beautiful.

Anonymous said...

After visiting beaches in South Africa (east coast) it's hard to take Galveston seriously. Sorry Texans.

Lin said...

WOW!! Those pictures are awesome. I love the one of Ivan making the angel. He looks 'heavenly' I have been to each of the coasts of Canada but took it for granted when I was a child. Now all I have seen lately is the Great Slave Lake, which is the biggest. I also do cross the Mackenzie River which leaks out into an ocean, I think?

Davis Family said...

Ocean - ocean - hmmm. I think I was near one once - they sort of smell!

Pamela said...

I had the same kind of first "ocean" experience. It was the Gulf of Finland...I concur that just because you call it a gulf doesn't mean it's not ocean...crazy people! My first real official ocean experience was on Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Good times. I want to visit more Brazilian beaches some day. One of my favorite beaches will always be the one at Heritage Lake Bible Camp. Good memories there!