Friday, January 12, 2007

slides and swings

The only thing Ivan didn't like about Canada was that it wasn't such a great haven for sliding and swinging. Yeah, there was snow and sledding and snow forts and one day at the park, he was in a swing all wadded up in his winter gear, but there weren't parks like he is used to. Uncle John was able to compensate for the lack, by demonstrating to Ivan a new way of sliding- down the stairs.

This became a favorite of Ivan and he was able to get grandpa Ian into the act (which did not take much coercion really).

Other rituals of Ivan's while in Canada included turning on the Christmas lights every night. He wanted to turn them on in dailight time too, but we'd make him wait until it was at least dark (about 4 or 5pm there). Then Ivan would dance up to grandpa chanting: lights, lights and happily hop, skip to their nightly task of lighting it all up (the tree, two bush like plants, a fountain and village of houses).

A morning task was to make sure everyone had slept good. His question is: __________ (name) sleep good? huh? For example, "Mimi sleep good? huh?

Do you have any rituals?

4 comments:

Nana said...

Dad was the one to put the lights on the tree. After that was completed the 3 of us kids, would decorate it with popcorn we had strung along with ornaments we had made in school. That tradition had to come to an end when my brother started eating the popcorn off the tree and bit into a tree light wire. Another thing we would do, would try to be the first one to get dad's biggest sock to hang up, not on the fireplace (didn't have one) but pinned to the drapes. Now I always put out a burlap angel, it's pretty haggered looking now, my mom made it for me many years ago. Hey sliding down the stairs looks fun, and the walking back to the top could tire a little 2 year old out.

Anonymous said...

Was that you talking at the end of the video? If it was...your voice change while you were there!! That happens to me when I go back home...I pick up the accent I had growing up when I'm around my family!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

funny- yep that was me and they all said I was picking up an american accent, which I can hear in my voice- ahhhhhhhhh!!! So that is good to know that I can ease back in a little bit. A funny story- mom's Jamaican and my friends said she had an accent, but I didn't believe them. I thought that was just mom's voice. I even asked dad if it could be true and he said of course and just listen to her when she calls home, her accent gets thicker!

Lin said...

I don't think I have any rituals but Jac does. She has to have her blanket out of the bed first in the morning and then all of her other stuff, her pillow, toys, other blankets. It is kind of annoying cause she won't get out of bed until that is all done. Harley has also started the older sister ritual of annoying her little sister. Ahhh! I keep using a saying my mother used on us all the time, "You're sisters and you love each other!"