Friday, January 05, 2007

Home again, home again, jiggedy jig


Well, we're back. It was a very long day flying home. We were up by 4:15am. Dominique was up before that because she thinks I'm an all night snack bar. We had 4 flights to get home, twice through security, 3 almost too short layovers, 1 mix up with seats (our fault) and four tired, but safe and thankful travelers back home by supper time. Have you ever been so tired you were dizzy with tiredness? I was definitely dizzy tired and I think Ivan was too since he fell 3 times that evening- once hard on the concrete leaving him with red scrapes on his nose.


We are slowly but surely getting our home back in order. Our 10 or so loads of laundry are diminishing and I've got groceries in the fridge, Brian paid bills and sent off the forms to apply for Dominique and Ivan's Canadian citizenship. No we aren't shipping them back, although Ivan has been talking to Grandpa Ian all day as he played and saying "snow outside" repeatedly. If we apply for them now, it's easier if they choose to live in Canada when they are all grown, plus it will be easier going back and forth for visits. I'm not sure what other benefits they get from having their citizenship there, but since they can have it, we're getting it.

I came back with mixed feelings. It was so good to be with family and to enjoy the holidays together, seeing them love our kids and loving them back, being back in Canada and enjoying a very mild, perfectly beautiful winterwonderland. Tonight we went to Big Buddies for a more extended visit and he got to play with the kids who laughed and laughed for him. We all seem much more relaxed after the break. Ivan seems to have grown out of so many tantrums and while we left with a baby, we came back with a little toddler in the making in Dominique. I don't know what it was about Canada or maybe that winter air that seems to have grown them up so.

Are you usually more sad or glad to be home after a trip?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel glad to be back in Derry but also sad that I had to leave. There are many reasons for both and it would take a while to explain, so I just leave wit with that.

Anonymous said...

I think it's great you are getting the kids passports for Canada. I wish we had dual citizenship somewhere, it would make medicine troubles with Max much easier!

Lin said...

I love the travel I just hate the mounds of laundry afterwards! I wish I could travel all the time and then come home and not have any laundry. Impossible dream with two little ones! Plus I am usually camping when I go travelling so you end up with a lot of dirty clothes. Oh well! I am just sorry I missed you but next time! Love

Kimberley said...

I'm glad that you made it home safe and sound.

My brother has dual citizenship. It came in handy when he wanted to attend university in the US. I keep telling him to apply for dual citizenship for his kids in case they ever want to move to Canada. Do it while you can!