Wednesday, January 24, 2007

In all our humaness

It's fascinating to watch the spiritual side to Ivan emerge. I was shocked to notice that he has developed a little special voice, head tilt and facial expression for those times when he is trying to swiggle out of a problem or into something he may not get. Manipulation at age 2! I know he didn't learn it anywhere. I was telling a friend about this and she said, you don't have to teach a kid to lie. So I guess what we have to teach is ownership, taking responsibility and making things right instead of hiding or trying to cover up his wrongs (and while we're teaching him all these wonderful traits, maybe we can learn it too!)

On the other hand, it has been a joy to watch him grow in acceptance and love. It's beautiful the way that he doesn't cringe around the elderly or people who are dirty or don't look quite like us. Rather he sees their acceptance and love and returns it. He doesn't think that Big Buddy is weak, but runs up to him and wants to sit in his lap or touch his face or be held by him. I've also noticed as we read books that Ivan will have compassion and emotion for the characters. In several books, when the characters are sad or alone, Ivan reaches out his hands to their picture and says "hold you" over and over in a tender, pleading voice.

This video is a combination of sweetness and narcissism. I missed the moment of spontaneity and sincerity when Ivan did actually go up to Dominique voluntarily and hugged her while saying that he loved her. Of course it was so sweet, I wanted to have it on camera. So I told him to do it again. He was glad to oblige because he wanted to watch it on camera. This is the third take. They got phonier as they went. But then you can imagine the time of true sincerity all the while admiring his drama skills! Notice how he runs back to the camera.

5 comments:

@mber said...

How cute! I think my brother hated me when I came along. He used to say that he liked me better when I was no number at all.

Trail Rider said...

parenting keeps us awake and alert!
very cute little hug...

The resource that saved our sanity and gave our home MUCH PEACE was
nogreaterjoy.com
they sell a book with 108 pages and 3 sequels that are an amazing read! I couldn't believe the fruit in our kids! Very down to earth common sense BIBLICAL training. if you can order the books online, they are actually quite cheap.
www.nogreaterjoy.com
let me know what you think if you decide to check it out!
blessings!

Anonymous said...

Max has a manipulating voice...of course he has no words...but his voice gets very sweet and high and quiet when he wants something...like PIE! It is so funny!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Thanks for the pointers Sarah, I've already tried the sharing and posession thing and it seems to help so far ;)

Trail Rider said...

You;ll have to forgive my excitement for these resources...I tend to over share sometimes. I'm glad you are finding things that work. I just couldn't believe how much we needed to learn (and still do!!) and at the time noah was 2, these books came our way, and saved our lives. so maybe that's why i'm so eager to tell people about them.