Friday, December 01, 2006

Dirty hands

Ivan liked the snow, but not the cold. Did I tell you my theory? I love snow and I figured that heaven would have warm snow, that way you could play in it and enjoy it for as long as you wanted. Ivan didn't just dislike the cold, he also got a little freaked out that the snow clung to his mitts. Here he is telling us his problem:



Later, even with his second pair of mitts, he kept saying that his hands were dirty.

On another note, I'm still so pumped that we are flying.

-no more worries about driving in ice, snow or snowstorms
-no more worries about the car not being up to muster (that was Brian's worry, I always think it'll do fine)
-no more concerns about how long it may take with two kids in tow (my big concern)
-we get an extra week to visit instead of traveling (it would have taken at least 3 days each way to drive, about a week in a car with two young kids)
-the kids get to have their first airplane ride
-seeing the world above the ground, in the clouds, where it is so beautiful
-seeing christmas lights from the sky, I got to see lots flying home for Christmas from Quebec

do you have an interesting flight story to share?

In adulthood, I discovered that flying is really so easy and convenient. As a kid, I thought it was ever so difficult, about every flight we took had some mishap. We've been on planes that have nosedived when the cabin pressure malfunctioned, we've had planes stopped for us as they were taxying off so that we could board, we've encountered packers strikes where it was a sea of people everywhere and of course, my parents were lugging us kids and the maximum allotment for luggage (2 checked baggages each, even though there was no way a 3 year old would need that much stuff, they were taking advantage of the allowances for gifts). My first flight on my own, I was terrified of all the things that always went wrong. Would I remember what to do for... But nothing has ever happened and I take it it will stay that way. Somehow mom and dad just had to keep things exciting, like flying wasn't enough in and of itself!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

warm snow???? the cold is part of what makes snow beautiful!!! it is special then...if it was warm we would get used to it...but when it is freezing it is exciting...can only be played with for short amounts of time...the we go and warm up and anticipate the next time we can stand it to play in it!

how's this for ghetto-fabulous...wrap his little mitts with tiny sandwich bags and tape or a rubber band...then the wet of the snow won't get on his hand but he can still move them to play in it. hey it's cheaper than those expensive waterproof gloves they make for kids!

Anonymous said...

Oh how cute he is, complaining about the snow as dirt and cold. Love that one. He hopefully gets used to it when he's up.

Gosh, I am so excited to see ya'll. When are you coming in? I should be there by the 13th, if everything works fine. I have three flights getting to S'toon. Belfast-London-Calgary-S'toon. I hope everything will work out.

My favourit flight story? Well, the first flight I was on, that was from Germany to New York. I never been on such a long flight and I am scared of hights anyway. But it turned out nice and all.
And there is this one when I was up in S'toon and on the way back to Oklahoma I was sitting next besides a little kid with his father. I was on the window seat and as we came into Oklahoma City (it was night), the little one tryed to look out of the window. So I took im on my lap so he could see the lights that were still on the houses.

All my flights where good, I never encountered and problems. The flights itself were calm and good. The hassle before you board makes me nuts sometimes. It's like "Do I have everything?" "Am I on time?" "Is this the right gate?"

Kimberley said...

I am always taken aside for extra security screening. When I flew home from Kelowna they swabbed my purse for drugs and explosives, when I left Fort Lauderdale I got the full search and body pat down, just in September when leaving Saskatoon I got the pat down as well.

But I'm happy to report that on our most recent trip, I approached the airport with a positive attitude and a thought of "who cares if they search me again". My new attitude must have worked because we had zero problems for the whole trip: Calgary to London, London to Spain and in reverse.

I've never travelled with kids, but my tip will be to leave yourselves plenty of time and bring lots of things to do.

Have fun! - Oh, and you better get Ivan a super snowsuit and mitts!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Deana- you and your friends can play in the cold snow and when you are freezing and tired of it, you can come enjoy my warm snow ;)

Andrea- we're flying in the 14th and are looking forward to seeing you too. We have 3 flights too! Abilene-Dallas-Minneapolis-Stoon and on the way back we get an extra one! But I'm not complaining at all- just funny how it's the same amount and you're coming from Germany!

Kim- good advice. Maybe you looked suspicious with those sparkling blue eyes and beautiful complexion- surely a terror threat in disguise.

Anonymous said...

okay...and when you get bored playing with warm snow you can come play in the cold stuff! ha ha!

Ian said...

On all the flying that I did this summer the best place with the least hassles was Paris. The whole plane load of people just walked past the security and immigration inspectors (they were behind a wall in the hallway) and didn't seem to bother anyone. I read in a magazine that France has become the number one tourist destination in the world because of their friendly atmosphere.
Vive la France!