Thursday, November 30, 2006

News flash





This just in, hot off the Abilene press. It snowed!!!! We had to hurry up and get dressed to play in it before it melt and there wasn't hardly enough to do much of anything in it, but it was real, legitimate snow, white fluffy flakes fluttering down from the heavens. It was delightful ;) Ivan saw one snow last year, but he was too small to remember it. We don't always get snow each year, but if it does, the entire town takes off from work or school to celebrate. Oh, they use the excuse that the roads are bad or other such nonsense, but in reality, it comes so infrequently we have to immediately cancel everything on our agendas, and go play in it while it's here. This year's flurries were not really up to snuff for good snowman making, too little and too dry, but I managed to muster up a little one with some wet snow melting on the pavement and the dry snow mixed. One year we had a bit more snow and I helped the neighbor kids make a snowman. They didn't know all the secrets to the trade. The snow man was almost made of as much grass as he was snow and we had to borrow snow from several yards, but he was at least kid size tall and the pride of our street. I'm hoping our little guy will stay a couple of days anyways.

Here Dominique is making her first snow angel.


Ivan liked the snow a lot until his hands got cold, so we went in and had hot chocolate. Tonight as I was headed home, it was so awesome to see snow still in the grass, to see it sparkle and hear it crunch under foot, to breathe in the crisp cool air... Canada here we come !!!

On that note, we have a supremely awesome development in that arena. Our family is helping us get to Canada, but now we aren't driving, we are going to fly!!! We are on cloud nine. I love flying and this will be so much better with the kids and it being winter and all, plus we'll have that many more days to be with our family instead of navegating icy winter highways for days with the kids. I am so pumped. It has been a very good couple of days. Very good indeed.

What's your favorite winter memory?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Angela,
Can't wait to see you guys! My favorite snow memory was in elementry school when class was cancelled for the day. The snow was higher then me and we played in it all day. Everett, Cayley, & I made a huge snow fort on the front lawn. Ah, those were the days.

Ian said...

1.Playing under the snow for hours making tunnels in the snow, then throwing the snow on top to enlarge the tunnels until I had made a several-roomed quinzy.
2.Skating at the skating rink or playing hockey.
3.Making a hugh fort out of snow at school from which a major snowball fight would ensue.
4.Snowshoeing in the snow to a forested area and having an outdoor winter picnic when Angela and Jennifer were little.
5.Traipsing through the woods with my brother while hunting deer. Ops, I'll be doing this tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Pond hockey and snow forts no doubt about it. Lots of snow up here - it came early for us actually, nice of us to send some your direction eh?
Enjoy your time with family up "north"...

jenn with two n's said...

Our snow keeps coming! Ivan and Dominique look like they're ready for some winter fun. Favourites: skating outside, snow forts and sculptures, warm drinks after toboganning, learning how to use short skis and do full circle turns on them, the first time I got to go on a dogsleigh ride and snowshoeing last year at Blackstrap. I always like coming indoors afterwards and feeling the warmth inside. Can't wait till you're here and so glad you'll be flying.

Jenni said...

Too cute! I love Dominique as a snow angel. I miss you guys terribly and I can't wait to see you all again SOON. Take it easy.

Nana said...

Favorite winter memories? In southern California? That's a tuff one. The last Christmas I spent in California my sister and I packed a picnic lunch and she, my nephews, Brian and I sat on the beach and had a picnic on Christmas eve. In Texas I guess the most exciting one was 2 years ago. Upon leaving to witness the baptism of a friends grandson it began to snow. The night was clear, the flakes were big and fluffy, it was just down right beautiful. Also spending Christmas in Abilene with the MacLeod's and "our" new grandson. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, Winter memories....my garden covered in snow, glittering and all being quiet. Driving with my bike to school in the snow, getting angry but still likeing it. Having snowball fights in school, going skiing with my family, going horseback riding in the snow....
Sorry, no tunnle digging or anything like that. Our snow is not that high.

Glad that you can fly up to Canada. It is so much easier for you.