Sunday, December 10, 2006

Dictionivary vol. 1


Sometimes Ivan is easy to understand. He is forming sentences and complex ideas. He showed empathy the other night as we were visiting Big Buddy in the hospital. The nurse came to check his blood sugar, but couldn't get enough blood from the first finger prick, so she had to do a second try and really squeeze on his finger. When she left, Ivan started gently rubbing Big Buddy's hand and said: "bite you?... I sorry". (Mosquitoes, bees and needles "bite" according to Ivan).

To help out my family, I thought I would list some vocabulary that they will need to learn to communicate effectively with Ivan.

hold you = he really means "hold me" that HE wants to be held by YOU
nana you = thank-you
help meeeee = a morph of help me and help please
dadda juice = chocolate milk or beer, but Ivan's only allowed the milk
geegee = Jesus
daw = God
shower first = I guess one time I said I'd shower first and ever since when I head to the shower, Ivan says "shower first"

We went to look at Christmas lights some tonight since Ivan thinks there is a party going on everytime we go somewhere at night time. It was so fun to hear his exclamations from the back seat. He kept yelling "LIGHTS!! MMMMMMMMMM Nana you!!" Using your nifty dictionivary above, you could interpret that he was saying thanks for the lights. He also kept telling us which streets to go down to find Nana's house. Her house in Houston is all lit up and I guess he thought we'd eventually find it among all the other festively lit homes.
















Here are a couple of pictures from an ornament exchange party Dominique and I got to go to. These babies were all in their mom's while we did water aerobics together. When looking at the picture, Ivan was able to pick Dominique out of the crowd immediately.

3 comments:

jenn with two n's said...

Great story about visiting Big Buddy. Thank you for the translation of his vocabulary as well. I'm sure it will prove useful. Dominique looks great in red. Can't wait to hold her...3-4 more days!

Anonymous said...

The vocabulary translation is great. They have their own language sometimes. Sometimes we expect children to communicate at an adult level, but it's much more fun to learn their language.

Nana said...

It really looks like Christmas with all of the red outfits. It's fun to watch your "water babies" grow.