Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Coming home and leaving town

Big Buddy may get to come home tomorow, so we are really happy he is doing better and that he won't have to spend Christmas in the hospital. He hates being up there and I can understand why. I didn't like my short stints there when I had the kids either, people in and out, poking, prodding... But sometimes it is necessary and so I'm thankful it's there. It is a little hard leaving him here in Abilene. He has friends in town, but we have become family to each other. He understands about us needing to go and we'll call. I think the background conversation is hillarious in the video. We were playing go fish with some cards that had animals on them.

Here goes Big Buddy trying to spoil our child again! Super Nanny was on at the time, so I was trying to watch what she councelled for kids throwing fits or not eating supper. Yep- Ivan has a mind of his own and it's not always going the same direction as ours! I have noticed that he's also perfected a little manipulation routine. He uses a very sweet, soft and gentle voice when he's in trouble and says things like: "hold you, candy please and help me, mommy". It about breaks my heart! I just hate it when he has these fits, I know he's miserable. I know we are miserable when he's having them. Any magic solutions out there?

Some pics for your enjoyment.









We are doing laundry, running errands and tonight will look at some more Christmas lights and give the kids their gifts (plane entertainment is the theme this year- coloring book, writing tool, book, game).

I am so totally excited about getting to Canada and being with my family. We are expecting 21 for Christmas. It'll be a grand party. I'm so happy everyone gets to meet Dominique and get to know Ivan better and I know that Ivan will love all the extra attention. I also know it will be a time of mourning again together. In a way we have been so far removed from Gordon's passing and I know it will bring a new rawness when we see John and Jenn, the nursery, his baby book, his grave. None of that is bad, I'm glad we will get to be there. More than anything I've wanted to be there with everyone through this instead of just sending support and love from afar. But it will be hard some and joyful some and most of all vital- now more than ever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, there is going to be 21 people for Christmas?? I know of 13, who are the rest?

Anonymous said...

I know you are so excited to get there. I pray you have a very uneventful travel day tomorrow...and a womderful time with your family!

Lady J said...

Magic solution for fits?! Are you kidding me?! My kid is the King, and I do mean King of fits...believe me, if I had some magic solution, I'd be very happily rich right now!!! The hard part is that every child is SO different, and every fit and situation is SO different, that what works one day, won't work the next...or even later that same day! The most humbling excersice to us humans is parenthood, most specifically to toddlers and preschoolers! (I'm sure some would argue to add teens in there too!) Sometimes the greatest lesson is in learning that we DON'T have all the answers...hence the humbling part! Good luck with it! Rest assured that you are NOT alone...I feel your pain more than anyone!