Saturday, February 04, 2006

They don't make them like they used to!










So has anyone else noticed that playgrounds no longer have: teeter-totters or merry-go-rounds. This park doesn't even have swings! They've replaced everything with plastic and rubberized stuff, I suppose in the hopes of kids not getting hurt (or more likely, them not getting sued for a kid getting hurt). Sometimes us adults take all the fun out of stuff.






Even with all it's seeming innocence, Ivan banged his head at this playground (ok, so I was helping him up the step by pushing on his bottom over my head, so that I could lead him to the slide and get his picture- He barely cried, and it was worth it! Big smiles as he came down and a great pic!)



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the last pic! how cute!

Anonymous said...

Our play grounds are ok. I don't see many because I just don't have kids. But those I see are built with wood. (no kidding) and we have swings...roundabouts I don't know if we have them. The very old GDR playgrounds had them (they were made of steel). That was fun.

Anonymous said...

I miss merry-go-rounds. The whole point of them was for one kid to stand on top of the handrails while 2-3 other kids spun the merry-go-round real fast. Like riding a bull...see how long you stay on before you were flung off.

Maybe that's why they quit making them...

Kimberley said...

Remember the monkey bars? How 'bout the uneven bars? The rope bridges?

Yup, kids these days don't know what they're missing.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I forgot about the rope bridges, they have bridges now, but they're tied together plastic planks- so much safer! When you hear about all they want us to do to keep us safe, you wonder how the last generation grew to be adults!

Nana, I can't identify with you, I was always the one who couldn't get up high and had someone else "stuck".

GMS said...

Playgrounds have definitely changed over time but the greatest is just Mom, Dad, kids and imagination. Near us we have one that has a big wooden boat that is a replica of the "Halfmoon" that Henry Hudson discovered the area in. The kids all have great fun in that.