Sunday, February 19, 2006

Weirdness thanks to technology


Ivan and I have experienced a really strange phenomenon lately. Discovering a mirror is one thing, but watching Ivan watch himself on the computer is totally weird! He found it quite intriguing too. We were watching a video of him feeding himself and he can hear and see himself and he hears and understands what I was saying on the recording. In the video, I ask him if he's going to get a drink, but as the reflected Ivan makes his decision, the watching Ivan is already looking at the cup on the screen as if to say, I'm going to get a drink, watch this! At another spot in the video, Ivan gets excited and starts bouncing up and down. At that point, Ivan imitates himself, so we've got two boucing Ivans!!! Told you it was weird!

I'm also realizing how much he knows and remembers. Tonight, I watched him do a series of movements, waving his arms in the air, reaching down to touch his toes, turning and "jumping". I was trying to figure out what he was doing, when I realized these were the actions to a song they do at tot time at the library. That was 4 days ago! Of course, he didn't do the actions along with the other kids at that time. I guess he was watching to figure it out so that he could practice later. I was just so amazed he remembered it! Maybe with the practicing he'll join in next time ;)

1 comment:

GMS said...

Let us know if he joins in the next time you go to the library.
The video world is truly amazing and it must be fascinating to actually observe Ivan processing it all.
It will probably not be weird to Ivan. He must be getting used to being photographed, videod and blogged about.
He is a star!!!!!!