Wednesday, February 08, 2006

raindrops on roses


raindrops on roses,
and whiskers on kittens,
little pink piglets
and purple block glistens

These are a few of my favorite things!


I'm not sure why, but Ivan gravitates toward certain things. A friend gave him these puzzles. There are a total of 8 animal pieces, but he almost always takes off running with the little pig. If he chews on a piece, it's the pig. If he walks around with a piece, it's the pig!


Likewise, he got this train set from his cousins (through marriage). It has tons of pieces and Ivan likes nothing more than to destroy the neat patterns. He does the same with block towers, "quick, tear it down". Not to mention that the train tracks take genius level engineering to put together. We don't have all the pieces and the wood is not at all pliable. We've managed to make 2 tracks that actually worked (ie. continued in circles, ovals and the like), but it doesn't matter, Ivan has them demolished pretty much the minute we have one put together. Along with the track pieces are a wooden car, blocks, tubes, arches, squares, trees and what Brian thinks are people and I think are trees. (He says where have you seen red trees? I say in autumn, where have you seen cherry red people with no faces???) Whatever they are, Ivan leaves them alone. But not the purple square. He loves to chew and hold and carry the purple square.

I guess some things just comfort us.

Here's your questions, answer in comments...

Is there anything you are strangely attached to?

What do you find comforting?

7 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I have several items that I have dragged around with me. Most due to practicality. Now that I have Ivan, mom and Jennifer gave me many childhood treasures. One that is really neat is a nitted (looks like jean) jacket. I actually remember mom nitting this when I was about 3 years old and I loved it! I'm also pretty attached to my wedding ring (ha, ha), a friend made them for us and they are very cool.

I find hugs comforting and chocolate or ice cream, even relaxing in sunshine.

Kimberley said...

Things that I am attached to. That's a tough one. When I was a child (at least until I was 3) I was inseperable from my Raggedy Ann doll.

What really comforts me is when the cats purr. If they come into the bed, their purring will put me right to sleep!

Anonymous said...

Red trees? Then how do you explain the blue ones?

Anonymous said...

I am very attached to my family and this country (no kidding). I'm also very much attached to my laptop and my planner. I would be lost without them.

What comforts me are hugs from my parents. Cuddling and teasing each other (Andrew will have a hard time here.) Also sunshine and my bed comforts me.

Maybe the blue trees were painted that way?!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

My dearest Brian, obviously the blue trees are Blue firs, or maybe they are just cold!

Kim, I don't know if it's the pregnancy, or maybe this next baby likes cats, 'cause ours has taken to sitting in my lap each evening in revving like a harley!

Anonymous said...

That is an amazingly easy question for me to answer. I mean besides my girls. For those of you who have known me well for any length of time. My Flower Blanket! Enough said.

GMS said...

Attached to almost anything purple -- even picked that color for my cast.
Also find it comforting.
But really comforting I would have to agree with Angela is the sun.