Sunday, February 12, 2006

He's got personality


People say that they can see some of both of us in Ivan. He doesn't favor either one of us neccessarily in looks anyways. I think the same can be safely said about his personality.

Like the momma...
-Ivan is very independant. He doesn't want to hold hands to walk. He wants to feed himself with his own spoon and eat at the table instead of in the booster seat with his tray.
-He loves to cuddle and will give hugs liberally once he is comfortable with a person.
-He loves people and animals, but mostly dogs. Tonight he followed a rabbit that appeared in our yard. The rabbit ran from me, but it was about to let Ivan pet it until I scared it off. Of course Ivan called it a "daw"- his way of saying dog. Everything is a dog, except for cats which he calls "meaw" like the sound they make.

Like the dadda...
-Ivan can be very neat. He will close the drawers when he gets something out and is meticulous about putting the alarm clock back sitting the exact way he found it. He'll pick up tiny things off the floor or table and give them to me to throw away. He's also learning to throw away trash and he picks up every minute piece of trash outside.
-He is very attentive to every noise, even in the periphery. I don't hear the background noise of the radio. Ivan claps when the song is over, even if we are in the middle of doing something else.
-He has taken up with darts (his dad is the one who plays the most). All day he cries out for us to play "da" (darts). When we give in and play, he runs to pick up each fallen dart and give it to the thrower, even if they aren't done yet. He practices throwing his dart and tries to stick pencils in the wall.

More questions for you and me, answer in comments.

Are you more like your dad or mom, in what ways?
Do you think you are an introvert or extrovert? (The best definition I heard is that introverts are drained by being around other people, they recharge by being alone. Extroverts thrive on others and are energized by being with people).

7 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I'm like mom in my independence and way of dealing with conflict. I'm outgoing like dad and love to play-games, sports, being silly- whatever and so does he. I'm a mix of both, but maybe more like dad, although my life path has been eerily similar to mom's.
I'm for sure an extrovert. I love being with and around people. I'm totally a people person and would shrivel up in a computer job or other non-people oriented fields.

GMS said...

Ivan sounds like he is a balanced mix of both, which is great. Wish we could all say the same.
I didn't know my Dad so can't really comment on that. Both my sister and I feel like we got quite a few personality traits from our mother.
I am more an extrovert in the sense of enjoying observing people and their interactions but can't say I am recharged by it all. Usually it is quite draining.

Anonymous said...

I can definitely be comfortable without being around people. I do enjoy the company of other people but there is always the draining aspect of it. I think I am more like my mother with my empathy level.
If you are empathetic and in a room full of people, you do more listening than talking and the result of that is you can only recharge when you are alone.

Anonymous said...

I'm a mix of both parents...good bad and ugly! My teens and early 20's was about not being anything like them...now I'm trying to see the good and be like them for that...they did something right!

I think I've always been a bit of an introvert. Around certain people I am an extrovert, but they few.

Anonymous said...

I'm like my mom when it comes to money and organizing, Cooking and handling things. I'm like my dad in looks (a bit), in crafts and love for a thing (like learning Russian).
AND I am like my grandpa and my aunt when it comes to talking and being silly (ok mom does that too). There are also character traits that no one knows where they are coming from.
Mom used to joke that I was mixed up in the hospital. *funny*

I am an extrovert. I like being around people and outside. Being active, running around, doing things whatever it is.

jenn with two n's said...

I like you share characteristics of both Mom and Dad. Physically, I'm like our Mom in facial features and body type. (My eye colour, nails and thickness of hair as well as skin that is reticent to sun exposure, are from Dad.) My personality is a blend as well. I think I respond to conflict the same way as Mom--I get quiet. I am definitely an extrovert through and through...I actually like getting up in front of people. I would like to do more of what Ray does--become a better listener. We had a speaker today who mentioned that what we value isn't always on. We have "thousands of toastmasters but we do not have listenmasters." Something I need to work on.

Anonymous said...

The older I get the more introverted I become. I do not like being in a large group of people. When I act I am someone else so that never bothers me but trying to be myself to people is way too draining. I find I need to disappear after awhile. I am a lot more like my dad though. I hear myself saying things to Harley that my dad said to us girls.