Monday, March 07, 2011

Our weekend


We got out of the valley this weekend, which was nice. We went to Arwen's grandparent's farm (otherwise known as my Aunt Mary and Uncle Bill's farm). It's only a couple of hours from here, so we stayed the night and got up the next morning to drive to Bienfait where my cousin Andrea had organized a grand day of curling.


Everyone kept saying how it would be such a huge cultural experience for Brian- and it was, but I had to admit that I had never curled before either, or been to a curling rink or ever watched curling! Apparently it's all the rage here in Saskatchewan, but I never knew it. I don't know if it was because I was a city girl, but I also think the fact that the women's curling teams have done very well here lately has something to do with all the talk around curling.



The kids got to get out on the ice a few times and try their hand at it.

The rest of the time, they were cheering (about 10 minutes) or watching videos (the rest of the day). I had brought books to read, coloring books and games, but those did not hold any allure when a tv stood there calling to them!



I would have loved to get out there and try it, but I didn't dare since my knee is still complaining quite a bit. Hopefully they will organize one more time before the season is over and my knee will be ok by then so I can try too, because so far, my Texan husband not only knows Saskatchewan geography better than I, but has now also surpassed me in curling! He's done nearly all the snow shoveling. But we're tied for getting his truck stuck in snow. 1 for 1 on that! And it'll take a while before he can outskate me, if we ever get him on skates that is.

Also, to all you Abileneans who read my blog. Brian was sporting his Bontera Blu shirt. It is a restaurant owned by some friends of ours. Brian got to go to their grand opening in Clyde when he was there and declared that it was awesome dining! So if you want a super nice night out with friends or your mate, look them up and go for the drive out, it's well worth it!! I'd love to go and will get there some day, but the commute is a bit much right now!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first year we were married we curled and I rather enjoyed it.I played on a team and we actually won a game or two. I haven't played again since, but will try again when I am in better shape. Mom

Davis Family said...

I used to be a curling expert when I was a teen. I curled my hair al the time. OHHHAAHHAA. OK. I know that was lame. Really lame.

Kimberley said...

How did you grow up in Saskatchewan and not know anything about curling?! I always tell people that small towns in SK don't have a hospital, may not have a school either, but they always have an indoor curling rink! And I'm a city girl too. In fact I'm watching curling on tv right now.

I don't play, but I've worn an olympic medal that was won for curling.

I hope the kids liked it. It's a sport that they can play their entire lives.

When your knee lets you try it, it's a LOT harder than it looks.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I have no idea how I missed the whole curling thing, yeah, apart from my hair- Roberta! Fort Qu'Appelle does have a curling rink Kim! and I did notice that it was something an entire family could do. There was everyone out there, from grandparents to younger adults to little kids and they could all do it together!

Anonymous said...

I haven't curled yet either, but I knew about it and even watched some before coming to SK. I actually would love to try that. Can you still do that in the summer? Rings being inside? Might be something I could do with my mom and aunt when they come over.

Anonymous said...

There may be one rink open in the summer Andrea,Ask Dave P he might know.Ruth

Seattle Real Estate said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.