Thursday, October 18, 2007

the making of Miss Spider pinata

There is a 3 foot 7 lb spider lurking in the laundry room, crawling on my art table and swinging from the tree. She is complete and she is beautiful. OK, so she hasn't swung yet, but she's prepped and ready to go. We got her made, painted and stuffed with candy. Somehow a whole slew of kids showed up right when it was time to load her up. Interesting how that worked. Where were they for the arduous, messy creating and for the laborious painting? Nope, they showed up right when it was time to open up the sweet smelling bags of delicious goop. That worked out fine actually. It took a record time to fill her up and much fun for all ages. Then we made the spider marshmellow treats. According to the recipe I was supposed to melt chocolate and cover the made up spiders with it, and although the more chocolate the better, it sounded like a lot of work and I thought fuzzy looking marshmellows already coated in toasted coconut from the store was a great alternative.

I've got a fun scavenger hunt made, samples of a spider decorated bag and spider craft for the kids to make and cakes to bake. I was going to bake them today, but today got away on me. Good thing there is still tomorrow.



Ivan wanted to eat some candy out of his pinata. I told him we couldn't get it out and asked him how we could get it out. He gleefully replied that we could take a stick and smash it and get candy out. Yep, he's ready.

Part two coming soon: Miss Spider's eminent demise- small children armed with dangerous looking weaponry smash and demolish artfully created jurasic like specimen as parents cheer, applaud and photograph the frenzied chaos.

6 comments:

Nana said...

WOW! The pinata looks really great. You are fantastic Ange! I can tell everyone had a good time. I think the opening of bags of candy must emit that scrumpcious smell of something good to eat. Looking forward to party photos.

Ian said...

Happy birthday Ivan and Angela. Wish I could be there for the party!

Anonymous said...

Ok, Ivan can say piniata. Are you kidding me?!?!?! This is great, and he pronounced it so well. I am astonished, I really am.

Anonymous said...

The Miss Spider Pinata is BEAUTIFUL! I am looking for ideas for my daughters 3rd birthday Miss Spider party pinata. Any suggestions on how you did her head and face?

Madame Angela Baggett said...

The head and body were formed by blowing up two balloons and attaching them with tape, then covering them with paper mache. I used paper mache legs and horn too. The trick is to not make it too wet and give time for it to dry.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your inspiration. My Miss Spider pinata came out wonderfully and the kids could barely make a dent in her! You can email me at tls4091@yahoo.com and I would like t share my pics....