Friday, October 26, 2007

back to our regular programming






Grandpa Ray and Grandma Sue have returned to their home in the North, to their lives and to a new grand-niece baby to coddle and spoil. They are far from us in body, but still with us in spirit. They've left their mark with memories and photos and a few left over tubs of Blue Bell ice cream. They stocked up our cupboards and our hearts with joyful memories of times together.

You haven't heard or seen the last of them though. I have 2 1/2 weeks of videos and pictures still to show off! So stay tuned.

In the meantime, I took the kids for check-ups today (Dominique weighs 21.5 lbs and is 29 3/4 " tall, Ivan weighed in at 33lbs and is 36 3/4" tall). I've learned something about Ivan in these 3 years and we had a great visit. Our last several visits had been torturous- screaming, tantrums of toddler mess. This time I tried something new. Seeing as Ivan takes to things slowly, I prepped him (and bribed him). I told him all the things they would do and what I expected of him (obeying by standing on the scale, not screaming or crying or throwing a fit and showing Dominique how to be a good and big child at the Dr's). I also told him if he obeyed and didn't cry, I'd give him cake and ice cream when he got home.

Ivan did have very logical reasons why he shouldn't have to go to the Dr's. He said he was scared. I asked of what. He said he was scared the Dr. would sting him. I told him the Dr. wouldn't "sting" him (they leave the dirty work to the poor nurses). At the Doctor's I told Ivan I would find out if he would get shots. When I gave him the unfortunate news that he would get shots, he explained that he wanted his shots, that he wanted to put them in his mouth (I think he mistook "shots" for "lollipops"). Nonetheless, he wanted to take his pants down and asked for his shots! He bravely watched Dominique get her finger pricked (without crying), then laid down dutifully with dreams of cake and ice cream on the horizon. He did scream and cry at the grueling pain when he was suddenly stabbed and tearfully pleaded to still get his cake and ice cream. I was ecstatic and so impressed with them and amazed at the difference in Ivan. The only bad thing (apart from the gigantic needles they stabbed into my brave son) is that the Dr discovered that Ivan has another double ear infection! We've all been congested and experiencing cold symptoms and I actually thought Dominique sounded worse, but her ears were fine. Ivan hasn't even had fever and acts fine. Hopefully the antibiotic will help him clear up faster.

They asked me if Ivan was putting words together (he wouldn't talk to them) and how many words Dominique knew. I said maybe 10 or so. Now I have to know, so here's our list:

hi, please, help me, mommy, daddy, Ivan, Saba, nez, bye bye, night night, balloon, clean up, no, amen.

I think that's it.

3 comments:

GMS said...

We definitely heard "Gramma" and "Grandpa" from
Dominique when we were there. And she should be reading those new books soon.

We are so pleased that Ivan was good for you at the doctor's. Does he take the antibiotic good?
I remember he kept asking for medicine. Maybe we should have listened to him.

Anonymous said...

He there from Germany!!!!

I would love to know how big Mimi and Ivan are but I can't "read" your scale. I assume they don't tell you the cm and kg??? (I will insist on that in Canada with my children. :D)

Sorry to hear that Ivan is sick again. Hopefully he will get better soon.
He was really brave at the docs. I can't remember anything from that early time. I just remember that my mom used to do the same, telling us what will happen to us and that it will be ok.
Once however we went to the dentist and mom said it will be only a check up. Unfortunately my brother had a loose tooth and they pulled it out. Well, he was brave and said nothing but the moment he left the room he yelled at my mom why she didn't tell him. He was really upset but it wasn't mom's fault because she couldn't possibly know.

Anyway, looks like it's all the same with all the kids all over the world. (And all the mommies go through the same thing.)

Davis Family said...

We are just finishing a round of antibiodics in this house. Hope yours goes smoothly.
Hope you are all feeling better soon.
Berta