Sunday, October 21, 2007

Double Birthday Bash











Apparently Brian didn't only highjack my blog, but also my e-mail address book and told everyone it was my birthday too, so we had our record crowd ever. I was there doing the kid party thing- face painting (the big hit was spider webs- Ivan also painted my face- and neck in a red abstract design). We were making a spider craft some friends kindly helped with and had a scavenger hunt that was a total blast. We also decorated goody bags and had burgers, hot dogs, chips, drinks... It was total mahem.

Then we brought the pinata out. It lasted real good until the big kids started whipping the stick at it. The weight of all the candy made it come to it's crashing descent, but it didn't splatter with candy yet. So I let the older kids beat at it on the ground until everyone had had a hit, (aggression release free of charge) then tipped it upside down for the grab candy frenzy. Then, to top it all off, we brought the cake out- more sugar, just what all those kids needed. The candles almost stayed lit with the gusting wind.

I was still clueless up to this point. Then my friend was getting upset as I was cutting and dishing out cake because she wanted me to sit down (I was thinking there was a lot of cake, hungry people out there and ice cream melting- this is hardly the time to sit), but she insisted. Brian had brought out a cake for me ( that he had decorated and made from scratch), then my friend's husband and his musician friend came out and played and sang a spanish song to me (and gave me another cake and gifts). Then we had our French friends sing happy birthday too! I was pretty overwhelmed with it and didn't even know what Brian had done until late that night when I opened a card from my friend telling me along with a copy of Brian's e-mail to them.

It was so incredible to have so many friends and the grands here to celebrate. Ivan and I felt very loved, sugared up and blessed with gifts too. He woke up this morning eager to play with all his new gifts and wondered if we could have his birthday today too. We told him "definitely not", we need a little recovery time- like 364 days worth!

3 comments:

Ian said...

It sounds like you had fun.

Nana said...

WOW! What a "Birthday Bash". You know you're going to have to top this one next year. Good thing you have 364 days to come up with the topper. I'm so proud of Brian coming up with Ange's own celebration. Look like y'all had great fun. We wish we could have been there' Maybe next time. Love you. Nana

Heather said...

Post Happy Birthday to you and Ivan.
Can I just say I love the spider cake! I made a spider cake for Hallowe'en one year - double layer body and in the lower body you cut a big hole out and fill with red and green jello for the "guts" of the spider. I love all the little spiders you made and the face on the big one - great idea!
Looks like you had a great time and a wonderful celebration!