Sunday, June 24, 2007

Summer fun & 1st blood

Here is our summer activities in pictures.

a trip to the zoo





playing pool at the neighbor's party (and volleyball)





swimming in our backyard (and our toddler pool parties)





painting and creating





swimming at the neighbor's





a trip to the museum



Dominique drew first blood a couple of days ago while head banging. The music was on and she was bobbing her head up and down as she held onto the table, then literally banged it on the table. I never could figure out where the blood came from when I washed out her mouth, so it was pretty minor, but a rude introduction to the dangers of head banging (it hasn't stopped her from executing her favorite dance move however).

Unfortunately, this was tame compared to her fall today. I was back and forth at the neighbors hauling water and had put her on a blanket in our yard where I thought she'd be safe. I thought wrong. She must have figured I'd gone inside. I responded to her screams where I found her fallen down the cement stair squeezed in between the last stair and a wooden board. This time her lip is puffed out. Some people pay big bucks for that!

She also conked her head on the cement sidewalk today when she tipped over from a stair. Mobility can be so freeing, and harsh at the same time. I can see why they can't crawl or pull up for so long. They're little heads need time to develop before the violent mobility stage.

Were you accident prone as a kid? What was your worst fall/injury?

11 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I rarely injured myself that I remember. My worst injury was as an adult from a tiger in Canada, that I used to feed. She scratched me and I got 30 stitches to 2 fingers that were healed right as talk of amputation started up. Wow, sometimes I forget how close a call that was.

armacleod said...

I think my worst was when I was jumping off that swing and ended up with 5 stitches. I still have the nike swoosh scar to prove it. If I shave my head enough.

Ian said...

I have a scar on my left index finger from a cut because I tried to peal a shriveled carrot with a butcher knife when I was about 4 years old. I remember that I scared my mom!

Deana said...

I have a scar from jumping back and forth from my bed to my sisters. They were those old army bunkbeds that were my dad's when he was little.

I also have a scar on my right hand where my older sister cut between my ring finger and pinky finger with scissors while making her halloween costume. Those are the only stitches I have ever had.

And I like your idea of why it takes so long for them to be able to walk and get mobile...maybe Max is still working on that million dollar head of his before he takes off!

Lin said...

My big scar is on my arm where I fell off of my bike in Battleford. I fell onto gravel and still have a raised scar from it. I don't think i was too accident prone but I tend to have a slightly skewed memory. ;)

@mber said...

My traumatic childhood scar was when I was copying my brother jumping in the pool backwards. I didn't jump far enough away from the ledge & I hit my chin & got stitches.

Davis Family said...

Bronwyn bumped her chin on Gavin's bed last week and bit her tongue - it bled quite a bit. Its almost like we are living in a parrallel universe.

Anonymous said...

Worst? I had two...once I fell with my bike and hit my face in gravel. That was bad...Second one was during skiing. I hit the harsh snow and my face was pretty much bruised and bloody. One little vain in my eye brust and the blood was visible but not bad.

For injuring my face so often I look pretty well. :D

Trail Rider said...

I rememeber andrew used to bite me at church and draw blood!!!! LOL

Your last post when you wrote out the dialoug between you and Ivan....it's so important to rememeber those conversations, cause you do forget them. I wish I had more of a log of what my kids used to say. I always chuckle when I read how Ivan talks...it's so cute.
I will be thinking of you next run, my friend!
(PS, do you memeber when Andrew used to bite me???? :)

Nana said...

Oh yes, I am accident prone. When I was about 4 I fell off a rock wall and cut my left hand on glass. That was my first trip to the emergency room. In the 9th grade I fell off the shoulders of the boy cheerleader and dislocated my right wrist. Another trip to the hospital. Later in life I caught my left hand in my umbrella, you guessed it, emergency room. Still another event, Jumped out of bed to unlock the door lost my balance and hit my forehead on the door frame, waited until morning to go to clinic. Stubbed my toes on an uneven sidewalk slide forward across the peoples porch on my elbow, but I didn't tear my uniform pants. On light duty for 3 weeks. I'm sure there have been more but these are some of the highlights.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

falls and injuries seem to be a hot topic. I guess we all have them- which is a reminder to moms not to freak out so bad when they occur.

Sarah- yes I remember Andrew biting- didn't realize he drew blood- yikes!- do you remember Andrew?

Thankfully Ivan's biting was very short lived. We have enough injuries without doing things on purpose!

Mom wrote me a great e-mail listing more than 5 injuries I have no recollection of, so this must all be part of a mother's diary and not nearly as traumatic for the child.