Monday, June 04, 2007

london bridges...

It's amazing how much a week can do. After her first step, add seven days and she could take a couple of steps. She can now stand in place well and start then walk about 2-3 feet. Of course I've tried to catch this on video or in pictures and instead this is what I get (which is much funnier and humbling).






I'm not sure why she won't just bend her knees and go down like she does when she feels like her learning to walk regimen is over for the day.

I've had major problems trying to get these first steps in a picture. It's tricky anyways since she is not very good and I have to sit far from her to get her in the shot, then with the delay- but by far the biggest difficulty is Ivan, the slightly jealous, totally mobile, grabbing the camera, wanting to have the attention older brother. Oh, well, he'll pay for his naughty streak by having to break in his parents, do the most chores and be the defender of the siblings.

Worst part of today: Ivan's fits have been horrendous. I was keeping a little girl today and he wanted everything she picked up or glanced at. He didn't want it once she was done with it, then he wanted the next thing she had. His way of dealing with this jealousy and desire to control is to scream and wail (but at least he's not hitting- think positive Angela).

Best part of the day: The little girl only speaks Spanish and it was so cute hearing Ivan repeat her phrases, acting like he totally knew what she was saying- which was only half way true.

Have you ever been in a situation where language was a problem? Where were you? What language were you struggling to use or understand?

6 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I've been in tons of situations where language was a difficulty, but the funniest was when some gorgeous English guys came and asked me where the end of the cue was in an airport in Toronto. I felt like a total idiot. Surely they were asking a simple question and speaking some sort of English. Mom jumped to my rescue since she understands the queen's English. (The cue is the line).

forgiven4this said...

I love those videos, and soon enough she will be off and running : ) my 12 month old was the same way, and even though it was funny it was also scary.
~Blessings

armacleod said...

Man, those falls look hard, but then the ground isn't that far so that is a good thing.

Language difficulties... I remember my trip to Germany in March a couple of years ago. I remember trying to figure out how to get out of Frankfurt to get to Leipzig when my connection flight was cancelled with 500 other flights. I think I talked to about 8 ppl before I was able to intelligently get to where I needed to go. And those ppl spoke English.

Deana said...

Have you tried putting a towel or small sheet or blanket around her back and you holding on to the ends? That way you are still out in front of her, encouraging her to come forward. But when she starts to head back and fall she will have a gentle reminder that she can stay up.


There have been several times I've been in language situations too. In China we met that several times, and in India too. But I agree with English being the hardest to translate sometimes. I think it's because we think we are speaking the same language! There are words in Enlgand that we say here all the time that are considered offensive...I better get a list of those words memorized!

Anonymous said...

Firt of all I have to say that Andrew's trip to Germany was not "a couple of years ago". It was last year in Marc 2006. Is that a typical man thing he's doing???

My language troubles...uhmmm...I live in Europe, that explains everything I would say. *g* I never got into troubles, but it's fun.
English is a wonderful language and I still have my difficulties but I learn every day and sometimes little things happen. Like hospitality and hostility...*g* That was rather a pronunciation thing though.

Angela...it's funny that you don't know "cue". I think I know it because I mix British and American English. I would say that gives me an advantages.

Pamela said...

The Portuguese language and I have a love/hate relationship. I love it but I get frusterated with myself when I make mistakes or can't remember words.