Friday, October 06, 2006

Who are the people in the neighborhood?




Do you remember that sesame street song? I wish we all lived on a Sesame street, where everyone knows each other and shares, sings songs, plays and puts up with the grouch. It's so hard to know neighbors now as we shut our doors turn on the air conditioning and plop ourselves in front of tv, computer, games... We are very thankful to live on a children filled street. It seems that they are the key to breaking down barriers. Have you noticed how people will talk to you if you have a child? I first noticed this years ago when I took my cousin Lin's then baby Harley (now she's preteen!) for a walk.

My kids are famous. We'll walk down the street and cars will go by with arms waving out the windows to the cries of "hi, Ivan". Dominique is gaining a fan club too. Of course everyone wants to come see the baby. Today we went to see our friend Mary in a nursing home and it struck me again how all the people just loved to see her. Babies are common ground for everyone. One lady couldn't walk, talk or raise her head up, but she shuffled her wheelchair close when I brought Dominique by and she reached her wavering hand over and amidst her tremors, she lovingly patted our daughter. I just know she made her day. This little defenseless, non-verbal human who really has no skills to impress the adult world, but can put a smile on every face quicker than anything. Babies are just incredible, they bring joy, tender memories and laughter just by being who they are. I think we're all supposed to be more like that. Here Dominique pulled a toy to her mouth so that she could nurse on it. In her books everything can be nursed. I thought it was cute how the mirror picked up her reflection.

We had good neighbors growing up. I remember one girl, Tracy? who was a few years older than me and walked with us to the public pool all through the summer so we could swim. I remember a lady who gave dimes out instead of candy during Halloween and one who gave apples (the only non-wrapped item we were allowed to keep since we knew her). Another neighbor let me have a free book from her garage sale when I was looking through her stuff.
What special thing did a neighbor do that meant a lot to you?

5 comments:

GMS said...

My best neighbor was my grandmother because she lived downstairs and would greet my sister and I when we got home from school because my mom would be working. She would always have a special treat, like bread, butter and sugar sandwiches.

Anonymous said...

Well, me and my brother were the only kids in our neighbourhood. There were older kids too but we didn't play. And the other ppl in my street are older and so we didn't really had this play street. But we know our neighbours well and we all get along, it's a good street to live in.

For playing and stuff I had my cousins who lived just 10 minutes away from us. And we can walk that because, well, it's Germany. *g*

Kimberley said...

I remember my Grandmother's next door neighbour would always give us an ice cream cone or a one dollar bill when we went over.

Such little tokens create such long memories!

Ian said...

When growing up in a small town, everyone was our neighbour. Some were just more miserable than others!
One of my first memories of moving to the small town of Ceylon was finding some discarded spark plugs with another kid my age (5 years old) and having a fight over them. We both went home crying with the spark plugs forgotten in the dirt.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

such precious memories! Kim- I would have been LIVING at your grandma's neighbor's house! Ice cream and money- you can't beat that. Big buddy always wants to give Ivan juice or ice cream if he has it, or cake. I'm so glad the kids are growing up amongst such dear friends.