Thursday, October 19, 2006

Early Fright Night

We had a major scare last night. I took the kids grocery shopping and was unloading the car and kids in the dark. Ivan didn't want to get out of the car, so I let him play in it while I went for more loads of groceries. Dominique was patiently waiting in the house with the two pets right inside the door. As I got the last load, I told Ivan it was time to get out of the car. By this time, he was in the driver's seat and really didn't want out. So I took his hand and pulled him out. As we tried to make our way in the house, he squirmed and pulled and threw fits on the end of my arm, but I didn't let go knowing that he would possibly make a run for it in the dark and I had groceries in and out of the house and the baby in the house (Brian was at a neighbor's house). As I tried to get Ivan in the house, the cat made a run for it. When I'd caught her and got back to the house, Ivan was still throwing fits about the car and "Snaynay out". But then he wouldn't calm down. He kept crying and then pointed at his hand dangling at his side. I suddenly realized that he could be hurt and immediately felt horrible. He was so inconsolable it was hard to tell what if anything was hurt, so I started putting away the groceries while I watched him. Brian came home and I said I think I hurt Ivan (he gave me a look of what have you done to our son). For the next hour or so, I got groceries up and fed Ivan cookies and made him tea and we watched.

He wasn't using his left arm or hand, he wouldn't pick things up with it and cried if we touched it. We asked him where it hurt and he just said "no" for everything. It wasn't discolored or swollen or sticking out at weird angles. Brian gave him his bath and we debated a trip to the emergency. I gave Ivan some children's tylenol and while it made him act more normal, at times laughing and playing, he still wasn't using the arm and didn't want anyone else to touch it either. We called his doctor. All the while I'm thinking I've crushed the bones of his hand (how much pressure would that take? I was holding him tightly), or dislocated his shoulder or something horrendous. I was thinking how his first injury was by his mom! How horrible is that? I'm wondering if I'll get interrogated at the hospital: do you usually yank on his arm? do you spank him? CPS wants to know. Meanwhile I'm talking to a lady at the hospital who is typing my information into a computer. The first aweful telling of our fateful event. She misunderstands and asked if he got his hand slammed in the door (no, that would be so horrible, I can't imagine his hand being smushed in a door, but then, that happens all the time and wouldn't really be my fault).

The doctor calls and while I feel like slime under a car seat, he calmly says that it's probably his elbow that has popped out. I said I thought it was his wrist and he replies that it's usually the elbow for something like that (USUALLY- there was nothing usual about it for us, but I was somewhat reassured that he'd heard of this before and wasn't screaming into the phone saying "how could you drag your screaming child by the arm, arms are fragile, hands are fragile and his will never work the same again" or some other devastating words). He starts describing the procedure to pop the arm back in place and then it dawns on me that he's telling me this for ME to do it! He said it's so easy to do and would be a shame to have to go all the way up to the hospital to do it, not to mention the doctor there may not know what it is. He instructs me to place Ivan's hand palm up and bend his arm so that his palm touches his shoulder. He warned me Ivan would scream, but should be using the arm shortly and he'd call me back to make sure it worked. So I did it, several times, just to make sure. Ivan did scream, but not as bad as when I told him to get out of the car, or when I told him there were no more cookies. So I thought that was a good sign. Sure enough, within minutes Ivan was using his wounded arm and hand again, throwing things and running around the house thinking this was so great that his parents were letting him stay up past 11pm and eat cookies with tea. I could have hugged the doctor when he called back, except that's a little hard to do over the phone. I couldn't believe that he was able to help us over the phone, that Ivan was ok and that I'd gone from bad mom to ok mom. We were so relieved and thankful to the Lord that Ivan was back to the lively, fun and strong toddler he is. In a moment our night had gone from lovely to tormented, and just as quickly from racked with pain to celebratory.

Of course in hindsight I can see that I could have put the groceries down and picked him up, but there are other times when there is no other recourse, like when he throws a fit half way across the street with Dominique on my one hip and him holding my other hand. I can just hope that this will make him think before trying to twist away from me like he did and pray that he'll be protected from all harm, accidental or otherwise.

I won't make you retell your worst moment as a parent, but you could tell us about your first bad injury. Have you been hospitalized before? Had stitches?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

the first time I clipped too close to Max's fingernail and it bled you would have thought I ha cut his finger off...I was a mess!

Yours was much more traumatic I'm sure. Sorry it was such a dramatic night!

Eric said...

I had the same kind of thought about myself when I was shopping with the kids and as I was packing up the groceries, my older child disappeared. Not only did I lose my child, then I have to admit it to strangers (the people at the store) who are then going to start looking. He was very difficult to find, since he went into the wrong washroom and had an accident so he was waiting for me to find him.

I suspect that the good parents judge themselves more harshly than others.

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't remember my first bad injury. But I am sure my mom was worried too. I know once I was hitting my head on the heater and I was bleeding a lot. We went to the hostpital. I also know that I one cut my thumb on the bread cutting machine. Again, hostpitel. I broe a finger, I had twisted ankles, wristes and so on.

There will be a lot of things that will hurt Ivan, might be you, might be the door, might be himself or another kid. But mostly it's just bad in the first two or three minutes and will get better soon. Don't worry, that is live and no one can protect him from getting hurt at all. He will learn from it and will understand what he can do and what not.

Anonymous said...

Now you have me worried about CPS.

There is on this blog site a video of me swinging Ivan around in circles, "holding on to him by his delicate little arms". We can only guess at the G forces his little joints were subjected to, and the disorientation that resulted might have caused him to fall..... Well! I guess he did fall 3 times !

Anyway you should erase that clip, or at least blur my face and distort my voice. I know these CPS types are a humorless bunch with no sense of proportion or common sense, and I'm sure their after me now.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

I had that happen to me ALL the time when I was little. At first my parents would take me to the hospital but then they started fixing my arm at home.It would not take very much for the elbow to pop out, so it could happen to Ivan again. No worries, it's easy to fix. It would hurt for a second while they moved my arm & then I'd be totally fine. My first bad hurting moment was when I jumped in the pool backwards & hit my chin on the ledge. There was blood everywhere and I had to get stiches.
-Amber

Heimdahl said...

Well there was the dog bite to the knee at about 3, the cheek ripped open on a pile of bricks( next to the half finished wall I was walking on)at 4 or the 2 front teeth knocked out at 5 or maybe the dart thrown in my arm again at 5 or ... lets see the brass hand mirror to the head at 5 (5 was a bad year for the hospital) Ummm I'm running out of room.
Ask you Dad but I think 69 was the year that Neil swallowed absorbine junior too.
Somewhere in there I ran into the car as Dad was pulling into the driveway as well.
I survived and as Grandpa said to me once ... "you are worried about your actions? Good when you stop caring then I'll start worrying."
Andrew

Ian said...

About two years ago I got my first stictches at age 56 when Jennifer threw a 240 pound guy onto my toe. His knee connected with my big toe which was upside down because I had just been thrown. The pain was terrific and I had to have multiple stiches to sew my "exploded" toe back together. They also gave me a usless Tetnus shot. Those are the only two stitches (I mean multiple stitches) that I have ever had.

Anonymous said...

Elijah's first knock to the head was him falling because I turned away when he was first learning to sit - I was depressed for hours, and took it a whole lot worse than he did. Since then he has fallen on his head many times of course and I'm much more use to it. I'm sure worse injuries are to come since my son appears to have his mother's genes when it comes to adventure. I have never broken any bones and have never had stitches except from surgery. I have experienced a bit of what you felt perhaps as a parent. Your story of this injury made me stressed out - you had me on the edge of my seat! I'm glad it worked out okay...