Sunday, October 15, 2006

Baggett family reunion


Well, we got to go! It was a miracle how it all came together at the last minute and I mean at the last minute, and we were so thankful to get to be a part of the party. There hasn't been a reunion in decades, certainly not since we've been married, but you wouldn't have known it by the way everyone came together and welcomed me in and our family. It was all hugs and smiles and "glad you made it". There was enough food for an army. We got there late, as in everyone had already eaten, but there were still three tables full of food. We did our best to polish some of it off, and while it was excellent, we were really to excited to meet everyone than to eat.


All three of Brian's grandfather's siblings were there, and various children and grand-children of their's. The families had a little baseball game, visited, took pictures, swung on swings, took in some horse riding competition that was going on as well at the park, played in the playground (well mostly Ivan and his generation), had a raffle for a blanket, gave toys to the kids and tried to make Dominique happy (which didn't happen much). She screamed through picture taking and anyone holding her longer than about 1 min., but they all acted like she was the greatest little baby ever (she was the youngest member of the family present).

A funny story: Ivan had wandered to the playground, so I dutilly followed him. There were several kids already playing there, so I asked them if they were there for the family reunion. "yes", "well who are your parents?" I asked trying to make family associations. They replied with names I had yet to connect. "Ok then, tell me who your grandmother is", thinking if I go back far enough, I will finally know someone. "Memaw", the daring eldest cousin replied. Seeing that I was still perplexed, she giggled and said, that she had another grandmother and that her name was "Maymaw". She then realized this was no help to me at all and pulled out of her short 8 years of knowledge a first name to her grandmothers to help me along.

A tender story: I was telling great uncle Benton about some of our visits with his brother (Brian's grandfather) and how he would act all put-out that I couldn't keep all the names straight when looking through old pictures. Benton then assured us that Brian's grandfather actually did connect with us more than with anyone, that we had been able to get the most out of him in the way of stories or looking back over the growing up years. We took this as a very high compliment. Maybe all those years knowing grandpa MacLeod and overlooking his orneriness helped out. Brian had the same attitude, what is there to lose? Ask for the stories and draw out the memories.

It was a great time to meet family and know the love of family, recall old times and make some new memories too. It was a good start to the rekindling of something that is ever so precious, family.




Brian found several people in the crowd who attended both of these reunions Sept. 1960 and Oct. 2006.


Since most of you don't know all the family, I left out many great pics. If you're interested go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/baggettfamily/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This blog is a continual blessing in my life, since I am so far away from you and Brian and my grandbabies, and not to mention all of the extended family.

I wish I could have been there to meet all of my cousins children, and grandchildren that I have never seen, and to be with my aunts and uncles that meant so much to me when I was growing up.

This blog posting and the new pictures on
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baggettfamily/ brought tears to my eyes. I can't thank you enough.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Big family! I am glad you could go and had so much fun with them.