Sunday, October 08, 2006

Giving Thanks


Tomorow is Canadian Thanksgiving day and my aunt's memorial. I think it is the perfect day to celebrate Aunt Laveena's life. From her cheery red hair, to her vivacious spirit and lilting accent, everything about her said to live life fully. She would want us to focus on her life today and not the grief. While there is sure to be tears, there will also be smiles, laughter, hugs and joy at being together, sharing stories, memories and common knowledge of a wonderful sister, wife, mother, aunt, friend. I am thankful to have known aunt Laveena. I am thankful that she brought a slice of womanhood to the brood of men she grew up with. I am thankful for her insights and memories of growing up and of the previous generation.

I've been thinking some about the awesome power of the Lover to help us rise above situations and circumstances. Many people today believe in finding strength within. While this may seem noble, what happens when you are sapped out? when you are all used up and confused, or hurt or feeling all alone? This is why I love the Lover so, when I have nothing, He is there for me to make me strong and give me joy, perspective and meaning... that my life is in a bigger realm than my current reality, that living is greater than this world, that there is life beyond, love surpassing, overcoming victory and knowledge available to me that will spurr me on, expand my limited sphere and bring beauty out of ashes, even joy out of mourning.

Of course at this stage in life, I am ever so thankful for my family, immediate and extended, for the life I enjoy and get to live, for the plethora of comforts that the majority of the world does not have access to, which I so often take for granted: from drinkable water, to a cozy bed, a variety of food, educational resources at my fingertips, love at the end of a phone, hugs and kisses within arms reach, the sound of laughter daily, friends, children, pets and plants... so much that makes my life incredibly rich, layered in beauty and wrapped fabulously in the sweet delight of heaven.

May the ears of those who mourn the loss of my aunt ring with the delightful sound of her laughter, may your noses tickle with her fragrance, may your arms tingle with her love and your spirits dance with hers as you remember and commune with her at a different level, in another way. She may seem ever so far from us and she is in a way, but she is also so very near. May we hear her salutations of love through the stratosphere. Likewise, I am not near you in body, but I am with you in spirit, in thought and in love. Give a big hug to everyone for me... from angela and her expanding gang in Texas

3 comments:

GMS said...

PRECIOUS FAMILY!!!!

The best thing to give thanks for.

armacleod said...

Beautiful.

Ian said...

Are you sure that you weren't at the remembrance for your Aunt Laveena? Yes there were tears, smiles, laughter, and hugs. Her four brothers were there as well as four first cousins and many other relatives besides Wyn and Sion and Rhrian. It was a great time (I took Tuesday off from work to drive people to the airport.) Some of the relatives are planning in being in Saskatoon for Christmas also. Love y'all.