Tuesday, October 03, 2006

hellos and goodbyes


This weekend grandpa Ray, Brian, myself and the kids headed over to Tuegue Texas to visit Ray's aunt and cousin. They are actually planning a reunion in a couple of weeks (that we hope to go to), but Ray didn't know the exact dates until after he had planned his trip to see us. The fun part is that we ended up having a mini reunion. The second aunt showed up, unannounced while we were eating dinner! She and her husband were traveling from camping in Colorado back to their home in Houston and happened to stop by the night we arrived to visit.

It was so fun to have all these relatives there. They just scooped up Dominique and tried their best to keep her content so that I could eat (didn't quite work) and were quite entertained by Ivan. The next day, the kids were more at ease and warmed up to all the friendly smiles. Aunt Kay and Uncle Bo could make serious money as comedians on a reality travel show. They are just hillarious and Aunt Eula was the grandma everyone wants to have. She whipped up a great meal and welcomed us like the long lost relatives we are. There hasn't been much contact through the years, and when Brian apologized to her for not keeping up with them, she replied something like: there's no better time than today to start.



It is so wonderful to know there is some family near by (about 4hours by car). Just as we were saying our hellos to these newly acquainted relatives, we had to say goodbye to grandpa Ray. He left this morning. We appreciate so much him coming down and spending time with us. We know that it was a sacrifice for him to leave his wife 3 weeks, but I know he enjoyed being in Texas again, eating Blue bell ice cream and most of all seeing Ivan and meeting Dominique.

Here's some pictures from our time in Tuegue. We'll have to go back. Aunt Eula has a wealth of love, memories and photos! This old picture is of Brian's great-grandfather who served in WWI. The picture is shown with his dog tags.

What relative are you closest to? What makes that relative so special to you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm closest to all of my relative, as much as possible anyway. Some live a bit away but I write them and I try to call from time to time. But my one aunt who lives near us is, I guess, the most precious person besides my parents and grandparents. She is more like a friend to me.

Lovely pictures of you guyes. I need one with all four of you to put on my blog!

GMS said...

My favorite always was and always will be my sister, because we grew up together and can share.