Thursday, September 21, 2006

Where are the grapes?

By the time all the produce was clean, there were no grapes left. I think Ivan enjoyed himself very much as he "helped" get supper ready.



The meal we had is probably the most exotic/weird dish we make, but is most delicious. I think it originates from Texas and was called Texas pile up and had chips in it, then mom got ahold of it and made it healthier, then I started making it and added my own twist... Brian and I call it meal-in-one because it has all the food groups in it.

Just make a bunch of rice and cut up all sorts of vegetables, fruit, nuts. We like any fruit we have, even shredded coconut or bananas, apples... plus veggies like onions, green peppers, tomatoes, shredded lettuce (whatever), nuts if you have them and grated cheese. Make spicy ground beef (or turkey). I add a ton of curry, some hot sauce and salsa and ginger if I have it. Make a base of rice on your plate, layer the spicy meat next, then add whatever toppings you like- veggies and cheese then top it off with the fruit and nuts. Every bite is different and oh so good ;) I didn't think it would be good and stubbornly separated all the foods the first time mom made it, then I got a little adventurous and tasted a mixed forkful and I've loved it ever since. I guess mom was right after all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit it sounds preeeeeetty weird...fruit and veggies and meat and salsa and curry...I would have to try this before I made up my mind!

jenn with two n's said...

I thought it was Laura Close who introduced it. It seemed to me that it was a peanut butter curry (no salsa) and that it's origins were African. I don't care though...I love it too. Very tasty, you pick the toppings. It was one of the meals I made for John when we were dating. I think he thought it strange but he seemed to like it (with the toppings he chose.) He just said "I think I'd be okay with the salsa version; I still wouldn't put fruit on it." I think Ivan takes after his momma a bit. When we shelled peas as kids...you seemed to eat quite a few.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Deana- maybe some day we will meet and I can make it for you guys to try. It's so good. My sister makes hers with peanut butter, but I don't remember that at all.

Jenn- does mom make it with peanut butter? You may be right about it coming from Laura, although I think I have seen some versions of it here. Yep, green peas are awesome, especially fresh off the vine. I wish we could grow them here, it's too hot.

Nana- Ivan does it healthy when he wants to. The when he wants to is the tough part. Most of the day he wants bread and that's it (he doesn't even want something on it). At least he is starting to eat suppers better.