Monday, September 11, 2006

Happy belated grandparent day!

OK, so I'm a day late, but I have 2 kids, can I use them as an excuse? I didn't get on the computer yesterday, but we did have a most incredible day. Our adopted grandparent Big Buddy showed us his old places of employment and places where he worked in Abilene. We drove him around the older parts of the city, which was hillarious because he'd point to buildings that have been there decades and say "that wasn't there". City hall used to be a feed lot and he lived around the corner. One of the middle school was the white's high school and he lived down the street from the black's high school. Most of the service stations where he had worked had been torn down, except this one that hasn't been in use in a long time and not as a gas station in ages.
Brian got this great picture of Mr Griffin on the same corner where this other picture was taken from his working days. This is the station Big Buddy retired from. It's such a priviledge to know people who have walked this earth longer and seen the world as we have never known it. I'm glad that we have him in our lives and that our children have their grandparents in their's. (the pictures aren't uploading, I'll try another time)




I've been wanting to get a good family picture, but we need to find someone who can take good pics. or borrow a stand. The pictures are always too far away or blurry or not well framed. Am I too picky? I messed around with these ones, cropping, adjusting the focus and colors, which may work for a blog, but not for a print.





I love photographing my kids, as you can tell. I'm not one for taking pictures of scenery or artistic shots and while I enjoy looking at all sorts of photos by professionals, I like ones with people the most. Pictures are weird. In many places, people believe you are capturing their soul on print and so don't want to be photographed. There is something mystical about them. I mean here we are with our children on our laps, but we are looking at 2 dimensional reproductions of them. I guess photos let us dwell on the moment, enter into it in a different way. There is no way we can reflect on each of the thousands of expressions a person has during a day, but the picture cements the moment in, allowing us the liberties to examine, relish and live the moment over and over again.


Do you enjoy taking pictures? What do you like to photograph most? Do you like looking at professional photographs in a museum? Why do you think pictures are so fun?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a grandparents day? That's interesting, we don't have something like that.

I like taking picutres but unlike your brother I don't mind if it's a bit blurry or not perfect shaped. He annoys be a bit with that habit of his.
I photographe everything which I want to remember, that's the purpose of the whole thing, right? *g*

Ian said...

I think you put your finger on the reason that we take pictures to freeze a moment in time so that we can relive it later. Before pictures I guess people told stories that were passed on from one generation to the next. Now that we have pictures it is much easier to jog the memory about past events. When Amber and Cayley were over in China, they mentioned that many Chinese people wanted to take their picture and I thought (at first) that would be useless to keep a photo of a complete stranger who they would never see again. But on second thought, it was an exciting moment to them seeing different- looking people and they want to be able to capture that excitement.

GMS said...

I feel self-conscious taking pictures and never know whether to pose the subjects or take candid shots. My first thought later usually is that I wish I had taken more than what I did. Then I think of all the combinations of pictures that I didn't get.

I'm not sure if I have ever been to a museum with very many pictures, per se. I know I enjoyed Norman Rockwell's and that had photographs that he would then use to paint a picture from.

I think pictures are fun because of the sharing that is possible, especially with folks at a distance, such as yourselves. Or the bragging rights possible with grandchildren.

By the way, you are certainly forgiven for being a day late with grandparent day, since you got to spend the day with the adopted one that Ivan cares about so much.