Tuesday, September 12, 2006

2 months already!


Dominique had her 2 month doctor visit today. We have an awesome pedeatrician. He really seems to care and visits and talks and is relaxed about issues, but takes concerns seriously and just makes us feel good about our parenting. Dominique weighs 11lbs 11oz and is 23inches long now (from 9lbs, 20 inches at birth). She seems perfect to us and the doctor didn't see anything to be concerned about either. She smiles and coos and is sleeping pretty good at night.

Our dr.'s philosophy is the same as mine. He asked how Ivan was doing and I said he was great although he throws a tantrum pretty much everyday. I avoided saying that he is headed to the terrible twos because I don't believe in it and apparently neither does our doctor, he said it this way: no matter if you are 4 or 40, it's [tantrums] are about not getting your own way.

He also made me feel assured about potty training. He says our job is not much of anything right now, to let Ivan get on the potty about once a day and read making it a fun thing. He said Ivan should know what the potty is and what should happen there. He said that things will come naturally with time and that it was still early. "If Brian wanted you to do something and he pestered and bugged you about it 20 times a day, that would really get on your nerves wouldn't it?" he asked. Yep, it sure would, especially if it was a skill I hadn't mastered yet. "so just take it easy, relax and let him go at his pace".

I think as a parent, especially in our information saturated and competitive culture, we can easily fall into the trap of thinking that our children's development is a race. We develop unhealthy pride wanting our kid to be first or at least as fast or talented as other kids his age. But it's not a race, it's a journey we travel together, where we are both discovering the way and living adventures. It's a dance where we both have to learn how to step in order to create beautiful harmony. It's a love affair, between different personalities, two different people (one big, one small) sharing life together, loving and learning to love each other. Parenting is community in it's purest form.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Wow, 2 months already! Time flies. I knew it would go fast watching my own little one grow, but I can't believe how fast. I think you are right about it being so unneccessary to rush the development, they are little for such a short time and I don't want him to grow up...but at the same time I still can't wait for Kellen to walk and talk and interact with me and the world more (and soon I'll probably add use the potty to that list!) I think that's life sometimes, looking forward to the future, looking back at the past, which can both be good as long as there is a lot of contentment with the present.

Anonymous said...

She looks so beautiful Ang! I am very happy for the two of you. I can't believe how quickly time goes by. I still have a hard time realizing jac is 17months. WOW! When am I going to see Dominique in her daddy rocks onesie?! Love ya