Sunday, September 24, 2006

a weekend of celebrations



Some weekends it seems we have nothing going on, then we have weekends like this one. We hosted Dominique's dedication, which on paper was "come and go" between 2-4pm, but we had friends over until past 6pm. These are some of my favorite pictures from the grand event.

To give you a bit of the scope of it all, I had made about a dozen batches of a dozen cookies each, two big bowls of spicy cheese dip, over 2 lbs of tortilla chips, a cake and about 7 gallons of punch and it all pretty much went. We had two big waves of friends come by and that was just those that could make it. The day was unbelievably special and good. Words can not describe the wonder of it.
I knew I had this huge smile stuck on my face the whole time, but could not stop the joy from exuding from my innermost being. It was so otherworldly to gaze on the precious face and little body of my daughter as friends spoke words of power and life and love over her. I remember having the same feeling when we dedicated Ivan, that of an exponential increase of my awe towards him and now of her, a sense of humbleness in knowing her and great expectation for her life. Sometimes when we are with them day in and day out, the honor and the supernaturalness gets missed between the dirty diapers and tantrums and hohum bustle of the day. May I not forget the sheer beauty of this event, may it come over me many times, throughout our lives, especially in the trying times, this delightful knowledge that I am in the presence of a supernatural, God-blessed and given gift in my daughter and son.





After Dominque's dedication, we headed over to a neighbor's birthday party barbecue. I love this family. They have all sorts of family (all spanish) over and all their kids and they just party all night, or so it seems.
We left at 10pm out of sheer exhaustion and they still had to cut the cake. Actually, everyone had a good laugh over us, because Brian took Ivan home to bathe him and when I got in the door with Dominique I asked Brian where Grandpa Ray was. We had left him at the party, neither of us telling him we were heading home.

So I went back, and here comes Grandpa Ray out of the house with a stream of hispanics, excitedly exclaiming that we missed the singing of happy birthday! Poor Ivan was so overwhelmingly exhausted, but didn't want to leave early... I mean all the other kids were taking to the street to play football (10:30pm). He cried and wailed and yelled: "Ala" from the window (our little friend Ale was still there somewhere in the crowd).

Today we had two more parties, a kid's birthday party which I left early so that I could show up late to a baby shower. Needless to say we are all played out and quite contented!

What are must haves at your favorite kind of party?

1 comment:

GMS said...

Must haves at any party are sharing, caring and making a connection with someone else. Hopefully, a positive one that can continue long after the party is over.