Sunday, September 25, 2005

Time stood still

I had a heavenly shudder experience some time ago, before this blog exhisted, so we are going back in time to recapture this event. It was one of those moments when time stood still for me and I realized there was something important, something cosmic or eternal that I was to grasp from the incident. It was very simple really.

My friend Wynetta, Ivan and I were visiting our friend Mary who is in a nursing home (see picture of Mary and Ivan). A 92 year old lady walked up to Ivan (who was about 1 month old) as he was laying in his car seat. They gazed, cooed and marveled at each other, and in that moment, I realized that here before me was a person at the beginning of his life and one nearing the end.

I litterally had the sense of time stopping as I realized instantaneously how quick life is. I saw in that moment what a tremendous charge I have as a mother to a child, where I am allowed and even expected to guide, teach, nurture, love and invest in his life. I saw how the way I parent him will influence his entire future, help shape him and propel him for this life and eternity. It was sobering, beautiful, impacting. Through the hectic, difficult and mundane moments of motherhood, may I never forget how precious and fleeting life is. May I cherish my son every moment as well as the priviledge of having such a position of influence on his heart, soul, mind and body.

1 comment:

GMS said...

I also realize how quick time goes by from taking
care of folks at the other end of life.
Some have dolls and stuffed animals again
and they all want to go "home".