Monday, September 19, 2005

Communication baby steps

It's truly amazing how a little 20 pound wonder can make a parent's heart soar from a little glance, giggle, sound or action. My head knew from reading numerous baby books that our little embryo could hear our voices, that at birth, he recognized us from our sounds and that those smiles and coos were his way of communicating with us. But my heart had a harder time joining in on the game. I've known factually that he is learning words, but it has totally rocked my world to realize he is understanding and trying to communicate back. Of course, at this point some of it is still a guessing game.


Ivan and I were in his baby pool in honor of the 100 degree weather we had yesterday. It was so hot, the plastic side of the pool was hot to the touch, unless mommy splashed it with water, which I did frequently. Ivan was having a blast nonetheless. Now that he has learned to crawl, pull up and fall over the side, the pool has so many more playing possibilities. His daddy checked in on us and as he was leaving, daddy waved good-bye... Ivan waved back and daddy had to stay 5 minutes longer as they waved and waved. Brian was sure that Ivan was waving bye-bye. Some part of me agrees. Another part says he was waving all afternoon. He waved when I sang a song- like he was conducting (hey, maybe he was). He waved as he babbled passionately- like he was teaching something very important (and maybe he was). He waved after touching the scalding sides of the pool.

While Daddy loved the wave, my favorite type of communication that afternoon was Ivan's invention of a funny game. The main jist was to stuff a swim toy in momma's mouth and *lol* (laugh out loud) while she bit it and he tugged until it came loose again (so that he could stuff it in once more -of course!).

As for traditional communication, we know he recognizes some words. If he's thirsty and we say "drink", he goes crazy (as if to say, "duh, that's what I've been telling you all along"). If we say the dog's name, he starts to scope our surroundings for her. If I tell him "come on" he stops what he's doing (most of the time) and follows me to another room. If we tell him "no" he either stops what he is doing, or starts crying (like he's terribly upset that someone contradicted him).

As for saying his own words, we are still in suspence. He said "momma" once out of desperation, but has pretty much figured out he doesn't need to call for me, I'm always there. He says "dadadada" lots, (along with "bababa" and now "va", which is go in French).

I'm excited by all the possibilities of language and communication with this little man that I love with all my being. If he has totally captured our hearts and blown our minds without a single word, imagine the thrill of the journey as he adds his very own vocabulary, ideas, impressions and loves to the mix. It is beautiful to watch language unfold, grow and take root in him. The landscape from here out will never be the same.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

It is so true about how babies are constantly absorbing everything around them. So amazing how there brains latch onto certain words or actions and they react and we are so proud of our little Einsteins. :)

Anonymous said...

Angela, I love reading about Ivan and how he's growing up so fast. It makes me smile to read your words of love for him. All this talk of communication makes me think of how special your words will be to him when he is old enough to look back and read what you had to share about him while he was so young. He's beautiful!

GMS said...

In the picture, it looks like he's saying:
How big am I?
Sooo big!!!!