Friday, September 18, 2009

Action on Briarwood!



It was so surreal, because I had a similar experience when I was young, but last night, the dog alerted us that something was weird in the backyard. I went out, turned on the light and saw a man by our shed! The dog immediately ran out barking like Cujo and I yelled at the man "get outta here!" over and over (effectively waking up my son and scaring him too). The guy scaled our pretty much unscalable 6 foot chain link fence with no back gate, leaving his shoes, some cash and a ringing cell phone. My father-in-law went out into the yard with a stick thing- get this- we figured out soon enough that it was only Dominique's plastic light saber. He saw someone by the other gate and yelled at him, who turned out to be a neighbor pursuing the fleeing man. I called 911 and woke Brian who had already gone to bed. He and his dad went out and found the guy's belongings and talked to the police units who were there immediately. Ivan wanted to see the police and the dog that combed through our yard. I didn't tell him they were in the yard, but I did say they had been down the street. He wanted to give the K9 dog a doggie treat, so I let him give one to Saba instead. She got lots of treats and loving that night I tell you. I've always thought she was a little too aggressive, but on nights like last night I'm glad she has a mean bark. We've always felt safe in our home with her here even when we've forgotten to lock a door. Others on our street have been burglarized, but this is the closest we got to action and you should have seen that guy move when he heard her going nuts!


Meanwhile, in our more regular moments, we are enjoying the grands. Grandma Sue has never seen Mary Poppins (which Dominique calls Maryanne Poppins), so we watched half of it so far. The kids love it. Emora saw her first video, a baby Einstein like show and made strange at the adults in it (she cried terrified, painful screams of horror when they came on and was totally happy watching it when they left). Surprisingly, she took to the grands immediately, she must just know we belong together. Yesterday she learned to clap, and today she learned to roll from her belly to back. She is in training for crawling and making more sounds daily.

Ivan plays his first ever organized sports game tomorrow- soccer. He's #7 on the Fire Ants team. Canadians don't know fire ants. They are vicious little biting ants that give me and the kids painful blisters- a pretty fierce gang I tell you!

4 comments:

Olivia said...

NO way! Wow, that must have been so scary. I love your dog and I know she loves you all very much too. Love you.

Ian said...

I'm glad that Saba was so effective. BTW I do so know what fire ants are. I watched one run up my arm once when I was in Kingston, Jamaica at your uncle's place. Your uncle started to laugh even before the ant stopped, doubled in half and took a bite out of my flesh. I sure jumped!

Anonymous said...

Seems like every one is having a great time,enjoy.
Who needs Halloween when there is so much going on in your back yard.A light saber can be scary in the dark especially with a barking dog.Mom

Nana said...

"Bravo Saba". You earn the extra special dog award. You protected your home and your family. Seems like another dog treat should be in store for you.