Sunday, May 17, 2009

sniffer








I have a couple of awesome friends who also have kids Dominique's age and younger. We like to get together, but a play date with more than 2 kids quickly becomes mayhem if there is not a structured activity. I can't remember how exactly it came about, but we have created a fabulous system. We try to get together once a week. We rotate houses. Whoever's house it is at plans some kind of activity or craft. The kids have a total blast and so do we- plus they get to see each other, learn something, create and we all had a memory making activity of value that didn't cost us anything! It is so fabulous. The kids have created clay pieces, painted, made masks, gone on scavenger hunts... It's both fun to be the hostess and plan up fun. It's equally nice to just show up the other weeks and know that something meaningful and exciting is about to happen. It's awesome. I also like it that my kids get to experience learning from someone else than me.




Here's a funny Dominique thing. She likes to smell everything. I had always read that it's good to try to expose babies to all the senses: taste, smell, touch, sight, sound, but Dominique takes smelling to the extreme. For example, the other day she smelled some packing tape. I'm glad that she usually asks me if she can smell something. I've had to say "no" to things like the bug spray poison or markers. I just thinks it's so strange to see her pick up any old object, look at it then smell. And this is her own unique humor: she will often say: "Does it smell poopy?" When I ask if she farted, she laughs and says yes.

Which sense do you tend to favor after sight?

3 comments:

GMS said...

I favor "hearing" to hear the birds & laughter.
That is a table of great looking fruit. Wish I was there to smell it

Ian said...

Smell is probably the most basic of all the senses since often our earliest memories can be triggered by smell.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that I have been blessed with all my senses.I could not imagine not having all of them.I looked at them this way.Sight has given me the chance to see all of Gods creation an helps me to understand more of who He really is.
Hearing brings me in tune with all sounds which builds on my imagination.Smell allows my taste to be complete,and gives me a sense of protection from danger and harm. I do it all the time.Taste master or mask my cooking.Touch transfers and embraces them.They all combine to give me my six sense which to me complete my wholeness. Love mom