Friday, May 01, 2009

Ivan's words

His first words to read were "on" and "off". He matter of factly mentioned to me that he could read them from a toy's switch. I wrote them on a paper and he immediately recognized them.





I wrote several similar words and he was very excited to see that he could sound them out. For over an hour, he kept asking me to write more and more words. We even progressed to words with the silent "e" at the end. He explained that the "e" was quiet because it had tape over it's mouth, but that it changed another letter in the word.




Then he decided that it was time for Emora to learn to read. He would put a word in her hand and sound it out for her! It was so cute. What an amazing adventure learning can be!

See if you can spot us in this short news clip. We went to a special program at the library and made it in the news!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Looks like you had your "Hawaii" T-shirt day at the library. Very nice! Did the kids enjoy the story about the cockroach?

Nana said...

That is such a great program they have at the library. The kids are so fortunate to have a mom ready and willing to take them. I think the camera person needs to be informed which were the "cutest" kids in attendance!

Ian said...

I even heard you laugh on the Abilene newspaper site, Angela. I remember when I first learned to read at school when I was 6 in grade one and when I came home I wanted to teach my 4 1/2 year old brother at read and my parents wouldn't even let me try. They had a weird theory that it was bad for kids to learn too early! Congratulations to Ivan.

Olivia said...

Cute, I bet Ivan was so tickled that he was on TV! Love you guys.