Sunday, March 16, 2008

Spring has arrived



Spring has come to Abilene! Our peach tree has little leaves and flowers popping out, bees buzzing around it and smelling so sweet.

This video was from when Dominique was running a fever thus the lack of clothes. It is a recreation of sorts because I happened to look on them and they were spinning their arms and shouting "spin faster" while their daddy was pushing the dirt around, but they stopped once I got the camera on them. Brian plans on moving the garden this year. We've tried the same spot 5 years and it's never produced well, but our neighbor across the street has much better returns, so we are trying to recreate his plot at our house. It'll be against the shed and under a pecan tree, so it'll be mostly shaded during the day.

In the video, Ivan asks "whycause?". He got that expression from Caleb. Kind of cute huh?



We are having some friends over tonight, so I've been cooking away and looking forward to being together. I am really excited for desert. I decided it was time to whip out the Saskatoon berry filling my mom sent down with us and made two pies. They look incredible and will be a taste of home I'm sure.

Is there some homegrown food that you can't find elsewhere?

Here they have cactus that the hispanics cook (I've never had it), although I have tried the cactus fruit and didn't think it was all that great. I have heard it makes good jellies though.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

Brazil is my second home and there are soooo many foods from there that I miss having when I am anywhere else. Number one would be any of the fresh fruit. Yes, I can buy most of the fruit in Canada but it costs 10 times as much and isn't nearly as tasty. I totally miss mandioca which is a "potato-like" root, for lack of a better description. They eat it boiled or deep fried sometimes...YUMMY!!! Even the things that i can get the ingredients for never taste the same as they do in Brazil. They have these things called "salgadinhos" It's a huge variety of little appetizers that are amazingly delicious and I've never figured out how to recreate them to taste the same way. I think being in Brazil makes food taste better. :) Right now in India I'm kind of missing meat. It's not really readily available. Specifically I'm missing beef as we are in a Hindu area and the Hindu's consider cattle to be holy. We can buy beef from the Muslims but it's not very convenient. It's kind of ironic because I've never been a really big beef fan. I've already informed the fam that we need to have a bbq when I get home. :) Dreaming of a big juicy hamburger with a really cold diet dr. pepper. And maybe lasagna for desert. :)

Anonymous said...

Uhm, if I would start a list of things that I won't have in Canada I think your webpage would explode. *g*

First of all, the chocolates and variety of them. Second, foods in general...even your flower is different but I can cope with that.

As you remember the baking went well and the dinner I made for Jenn and John turned out well. (The big supermarket in S'toon has red cabbage! RED CABBAGE!!! And it's even a German brand!!! That will safe my day more than once.)

Mom already knows that she has to send Care packages once a year...or twice...or more. :D

Kimberley said...

Calgary isn't too far from Saskatoon, but you can't get Saskatoon berries here either. I've never had gooseberry jam like the kind that I had up on a Northern Indian reserve.

BTW - I have had cactus - it's pretty good.