Thursday, March 13, 2008

I got hit!






Tuesday night I was putting the kids to bed and suddenly I felt as if a cement truck had creamed me. Every muscle in my body hurt, I had chills, fever and waves of nausea. It felt like a mix of malaria (if you've ever had that pleasure) and labor pains (if you've ever had that pleasure). I made the mistake of not canceling with the kids the next day. All of the kids had already been exposed (Ivan started with it during Nana's visit last week, then Dominique got it the next day. Both only had it 48 hours. The Aim boys that I keep had also had it). I didn't interact with the kids much, just lay down and supervised, until lunch time. Once I had to physically get up and get food on the table for them, I lost it and ended up calling Brian to come home ASAP. Once he got home, I got to lay down and my fever spiked to 103 at which point I had the pleasure of conjuring up memories of cool baths as I washed myself down trying to get my fever under control.

Today, I had to cancel 3 things and Brian had to stay home more than he would have, but my fever has finally broken and I am up for a bit. At least this is short lived.


Some people say that pets get more ornery as they age. I have actually noticed that both the dog and cat are becoming more aggressive. Saba will snap at the kids from time to time and Smaky will swat at them. I wonder why?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have all my sympathy. My own illness is still fresh enough in my memory that I can empathize on everything but the malarial-labor-ague.

WOW! I can't even imagine.

By the way, I think the kids are pretty smart. They seemed to have figured out that if they gang up and keep the cat "pinned down", it can't swat at them.

Grampa ray

Davis Family said...

Wow - the world goes sideways pretty quickly when Mama gets sick eh? Hope your feeling better now!

Thinking of you all.
Berta & family

Anonymous said...

You cant treat animals, "especially cats", in this manner, as they dont understand the difference between kids actions & what they learned from the adults. When you encourage them to abuse animals, "pulling tails & taking pics of it", how do expect them to treat them any different in life later on?

Ian said...

Those kids don't realize that Smacky owns them and not the other way around. Saba may not realize it, but its real owner is Smacky too.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Thank you anonymous for your concern. I want to assuage your worries that we don't encourage the kids to treat the animals like this. We teach them to pet nicely and be kind to them, but they do have their moments and this one was too funny to pass up without a picture. Our cat actually gets worse treatment from our dog, who likes to chew at the flees on her. Sometimes she sticks around for it (I think she secretly likes the attention), but if she doesn't like something- the kids or dog- believe me she runs away! Other times she stays and cuddles up herself to the kids.

Madame Angela Baggett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Smacky is a pacifist cat.

The kids (occasionally and sweetly) play rough with her. The dog constantly chews her.

I wish she'd use her claws just once. No one would bother her again.