Monday, July 09, 2007

Scissor laws

(this was my hairdo last week thanks to a friend who just had to braid my hair)




So, you've all heard of gun laws, but I don't hear any lively fighting over the far more detrimental scissors. I say far more detrimental because of the much greater realm of repercussions (in America that is). How many people do you know who have been injured by a gun? Compare that with the entire whopping population who have been injured by scissors. I would guess that pretty much anyone who has met a pair of scissors has had a scissor injury. And this is just to mention the physical trauma caused by the seemingly innocuous weapon lurking in every home, in drawers throughout our countries.

What if we were to document the emotional stress this tool creates. How many parents, schoolteachers, tailors spend their days on edge because they know the scissors could wreck havoc with their day, their student, child, creation? I had once said that someone should have warned me about the dangers of scissors upon my child's precious head. And yet even though I've lived through it, somehow I forgot their dramatic influence. Of course, the shocking event of which I speak is the dreaded first haircut (what were you thinking, that we'd had an accident?) So much energy is spent keeping the kids from scissors, watching them carefully as they learn to use or misuse them, keeping them from harming themselves, others, or the library books- then bam! The parent forgets that the first little "innocent" haircut is the most disturbing of all.

Yep, all I did was trim about 30 strands of hair hanging down in front of her eyes and I lost my baby! She is now at least a toddler- in fact she seemed to know it for the very day of her haircut, she decided she can walk on her own most places. Somehow the undeniable look of bangs made her a little girl in the making.

Just to show you how cunning the dangerous scissors are, as we swung from the joy and delight of her beauty to the shock and dismay of "misplacing" our baby, we had the idea of cutting Ivan's hair too. We have done this dozens of times and continue to forget the emotional ramifications. So in one day, we lost our baby and our toddler. He was 2 1/2 before the haircut and looked at least 3 or even 4 when we were done!

And we can't go back. You can't stitch, glue, paste or tape those hairs back on, you can't return to the past, we can't cling to our thoughts of them forever. We have to move on and love this "new" child for who he/she is and just hang on for the ride.



Before pics





After pics

5 comments:

GMS said...

Quite the revelation!!

It will grow and so will they!

Still precious in your eyes, our eyes, and so many others, but, most importantly, in the eyes of the Lord.

Davis Family said...

Awwh! Cuties!

Deana said...

awww...I've got to trim up Max's hair before our journey...but I always dread how much I end up taking off!

Ian said...

They look pretty happy in their "after" pictures.

Nana said...

First haircuts are very emotional. Brian's first haircut was in San Antonio. Although there were tears he sat very, very still, and the freshly trimmed hair stuck to his face by his tears. The princess looks very grown up now, so does Ivan. Ginger gets her "buzz" for the summer on Saturday.