Saturday, July 28, 2007

@ the gap












No we weren't at the store, but in Buffalo Gap, Texas, where they have a historic village, all sorts of buildings filled with ancient relics. Unfortunately, we were missing an older generation to enlighten us. Before when we've gone, we've been with the grandparents and find out all sorts of interesting things. Well, now it was our turn. With a new generation in tow, we got to tell Ivan and Dominique about houses with no electricity or running water, outhouses, old phones, record players, teeter totters... Of course not all this knowledge was from personal experience, but some was. While it can seem poetic to imagine living in a day with horse drawn carriages, I'm glad I don't have to potty train in an outhouse, that we have running water and sprinklers and pools even. I enjoy the internet and blogging, cell phones and airplanes to get me quickly to those I love.

Ivan really liked the old phones and the piano, but his and Dominique's favorite part was running and screaming in the buildings that created such great echoes.

We got caught in a good downpour. You can see the rain streaking across the pink crepe myrtle flowers and cactus. Rain is just gorgeous. It thumped and danced on the metal roofs creating it's own impromptu symphony, doused everything in delicious coolness, softened the landscape, refreshed the earth and made great puddle lakes on the pathway. Ivan ran out into it several times, but didn't like the mud. He thought it great fun to be hidden under our picnic blanket when we'd had enough of waiting it out and decided to make a mad dash for the next building. Dominique didn't like her cocoon out of the rain and hollered in protest.

4 comments:

GMS said...

Great family picture!
Good to see John must be feeling better.
Great story, too.

Ian said...

By the way the pioneers did not have metal roofs. Usually the roof would leak and you had to go around and put pails or pans in strategic locations to catch the drips.
I wish I was there; actually I was there in Buffalo Gap; I wish I was there with you now!

Trail Rider said...

Looks like you guys are having a blast! what a blessing to have your sis out there with you. i can't imagine having my sis so far away, she's only 10 houses away or so!

You family has a special place in my heart. your parents were key into the development of my character and learning about jesus! I just wanted to tell you that.

Your kids are sooo cute. you post so often and so many pics, if i don't come to your blog every couple of days, i'm doing some serious catch up! LOL
Thanks for sharing your life with us

Anonymous said...

He, finially we have proof that John is there too. :D

I wish we would have less rain. Our law grows like crazy and we should cut it but it's raining all the time, no chance.

Enjoy the time together!