Saturday, March 24, 2007

Sandman?

If there is a mother out there hogging Mr. Sandman, you need to share! Ivan needs a nap every day. He usually sleeps 1-3 hours depending on how tired he is. The problem is when to go down for the nap. I try to put him down after lunch. Some days, he goes down right away. Today, he chatted, talked, read himself stories and played until 3pm. The problem with that is that he'll sleep until supper time and if it's one of our swim days he'll miss it, plus I usually try to plan to be home around the times of naps which is less and less predictable. Dominique only sleeps 20-30 minutes at a time, about twice a day. I don't know where her energy comes from, but apparently there is no end of it. Maybe once she's walking she'll tire out more and nap longer.



Some days I feel like super mom and that this job is so easy. I'll have gotten up, with the kids, fed everyone, gotten housework done, quality play time, maybe even gotten out somewhere and make supper... It's like amazing. Other days (OK, most days), it seems like we can barely get anywhere before noon, if that, I'll have housework or something awaiting me that never gets attended to and the day flies by with me feeling like nothing has happened (this is usually a day when the kids are grouchier, or more demanding, or something). I don't know what the difference is, but I'm thankful for both. Like Netts says, the harder days make the sweet days that much better.

Today I had a totally revolting experience. I fed Dominique some of my meatloaf and it was soon obvious that her little tummy wasn't ready for it, because she threw up on herself, her clothes, hair and our bed. I gave her a bath and redressed her, then we were playing and she threw up again all over me- in my hair right by my face! yuk, yuk, yuk. Puke is so gross. Far worse than dirty diapers in my books. And I think the worst place to have it is in hair, especially curly hair, hair that is only supposed to be washed once a week and was cleaned yesterday. I can still smell it.

Do you take naps ever? long ones or short?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, puke is really disgusting, especially when it happens twice.

I take naps, long and short ones. It depends on my day, on the time I have and how tired I am. But it's nice to have one.

Anonymous said...

I'm just curious, do you put onions in your meat-loaf?

Lady J said...

Welcome to motherhood...welcome to my life! Your days are starting to sound like mine!!! Alas...I am not alone!

I hate to tell you this, but sounds like Ivan is outgrowing the nap! When they sleep 3 hrs one day, 1 hr the next then not at all...it's a sign he only needs a 1 1/2 hr nap every other day or so. Reality bites!!!

As for the puke thing...been there done that too! My child was the champion puker...I've had it just about anywhere you can imagine!

Today has been a great day for us! I got my house clean before Lin got here last night, have cleaned up since she left this AM, done laundry, made a double batch of banana muffins, all with Harrison in tow and was quoted on your blog!!! WOW...today is an on top of the world kinda day for me!!! Love ya girl!

Anonymous said...

what is this nap thing you speak of??? not only do i not nap...but Max has never been one to take a nap!

Lin said...

Naps, How I miss them. This past week on holidays has been great for them. I get to take them everyday with Jac and we have been taking longer naps (about two hours! yeah) She has been so out of sorts because of the holiday that her sleep is all screwed up. So I of course am taking advantage. As for the puke thing I am no good at that at all. If it happened which is not very often, I just throw everything away. I can't afford it but if I try to clean it, I just end up making a bigger mess.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

grampa ray- I think it may have been the cheese in the meatloaf or the combo of stuff, it had tons of veggies and tomatoes and onions too.

thanks for all the comments everyone. Puke and naps- pretty universal subjects I guess.

Deana & Netts- my heart goes out to you. No naps??? Wow!

Janet said...

okay, maybe I'm late on this one. But I'm curious too. I have to ask, does your meatloaf have eggs. That's Kellen's puke-causing food, and a likely allergen.

Great pictures by the way, I love seeing your kids grow. They are changing so fast!!!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Janet- I totally can't remember what all is in it, since I made it a long time ago for Ivan (muffin sized) and froze them. He doesn't like them, but I think they are delicious. Dominique made it plain what she thought of them! ha, ha. But thanks for the tip, I'll watch for that.