Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Another project





OK, so I may not be posting quite as often as usual since I am trying to undertake an overwhelming project. I'm attempting to paint a portrait of Ivan. We had some pictures taken by a friend before Christmas, but none of them were what I wanted so I tried to take my own. Some 30 shots later, I gave up. Most of the pictures were of Ivan running from me which he thought was hillarious fun. Then I got the shots with the really fake smile, a sugary smile- for I was holding a lollipop and telling him he only got it after he looked at the camera and smiled. Still, no perfect picture. The above ones were good, but not hang on your wall forever good, so I cut the head from one shot and stuck it on the body of another. Hope it comes out good. If not, you'll never see it- just kidding!

Ivan is in a phase where he contradicts everything I say. I hope this is as short lived as my flu (thank you, I feel much better) and so will we all if he will try to assert his will in cooperation with the rest of us. He constantly grabs toys from Dominique or yells no at her- even for looking his way. I tried finding a solution from a seasoned mom and she encouraged me that second or middle children grow up in that environment and they become the peacemakers. I guess that means the first child is just being assertive? This positive light doesn't make it seem any better.

One sweet thing he said... We have a picture of Jesus with poor children on our wall. In the background is a table. Ivan was interpreting it to me. He said: "Jesus. Come children. Eat yogurt, green apples, green grapes, strawberries..." They are not eating in the picture, I think Jesus showed up during a lesson, but instead, my son sees it as dinner time (we'd had fruit salad and yogurt for desert). Of course Jesus would not eat an actual dinner with the children. He'd serve them desert! I love to see vicariously through this creative, assertive, child mind.

4 comments:

Pamela said...

I really like the picture where Ivan is crouched down. I think it's great!

armacleod said...

Those are so cute! They are great picts.

Lady J said...

Is there anything you won't attempt? Now you're going to paint a portrait?! You're lucky I keep returning to your blog the way you make me feel like a terrible mother every time I read it!!! Kidding...sort of!

Beware..the talking back is not a phase, but rather the beginning of a life long experience! It only gets worse...hate to be the one to break it to you! Harrison now sticks his tongue out and makes faces at me, when the talking back doesn't get him what he wants! It's extremely aggravating! Keep an eye on my blog for my next post, which will include some stories about some very "spirited" behaviour this past week at our house! You are NOT alone my friend!

Kimberley said...

I look forward to seeing you artwork!

Our cat Gary has always talked back to Jason whenever he gets into trouble. I think it is very funny!