Monday, March 27, 2006

suddenly pregnant


I've read a dozen times that each pregnancy is different, but I guess I didn't really believe it. The pregnancy which produced Ivan does not seem that long ago, so I thought I knew how this one would go. Like the last one! Au contraire, this one is already so different. I gained a lot of weight with Ivan- 45lbs, which was no big deal as it was coming on gradually about 5lbs a month. I just slowly got bigger, and bigger and bigger. I didn't even realize how big I'd gotten until I saw a picture of myself from the week before we delivered. I was shocked. I didn't notice so much as it was all in front of me. I didn't understand when the books said I would wake up one morning and find that I was suddenly big.

That's what has happened this time. I've barely gained any weight (compared to last time), but all of a sudden, now at month 6, I woke up and found that I am quickly loosing my lap, some chairs are uncomfortable, I get short of breath and have some heartburn. I never experienced all that until near the end with Ivan, which kind of freaks me out. But it's so weird to have these symptoms when I know I'm not near as big as I was the last time I experienced all this. So it goes! I guess this is a reminder that the same will be with our child when she is born. I can't just assume that everything that's worked or hasn't with Ivan will be the same with her. I'll need to discover who she is and how to best nurture her with her personality in mind.

Other exciting news in the pregnancy department... My sister is expecting!!! I think I've given her plenty of time to get the news out or for friends to see it from her on her blog (about 2 whole weeks). I'm so thrilled. The night she called to tell me the news, I barely slept. Our babies will only be about 4 months apart (she's due about the 10th of Nov. but will probably deliver earlier than that). Of course my first pang was realizing that these cousins are so far from each other, but we will do our best to stay close ;) How fun, how fun!!! I'm looking forward to being an auntie and mom of two all in the same year. And to think how mom wanted grandchildren so much and now we're multiplying!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how exciting your sister is pregnant! that's how it was with Max...woke up and big ol belly! Can you believe it's only 3 months away?

jenn with two n's said...

I am excited that our babies will have cousins close in age! I went to my endocrinologist, nurse educator and dietitian today. It went well. (It was good I booked a sub though since it took the majority of the afternooon). It was fun seeing other women who were much further along: 31-36 weeks. They were looking forward to the end--and I've just begun! I am looking forward to being done this first trimester stage--I want to sleep a lot! I will also get to see the first sonogram then.

Lady J said...

WOW!!! I am so excited for Jenn~will have to congratulate her on her blog! Kind of nice for you to be pregnant at the same time. Since you have already seen one pregnancy through to the end, I know you will have lots of great helpful advice and many words of wisdom to share with her! And you are right, just like every pregnancy is different, so is every child! I once was a nanny for quadruplet boys aged 5 and no 2 out of the 4 were alike! Made for an adventure everyday!!!