Sunday, March 12, 2006

boy or girl, blue or pink, dog or cat?

We have such awesome friends and family. We really haven't bought any clothes for Ivan. He's been given clothing gifts from all over and it has been so wonderful. Recently, I was even given some clothes for our little girl who is still several months away from her grand debut! As I was looking through them and sorting them by size, I made a most hillarious discovery. In North America, we pretty much see blue as a boy color and pink as a girl color, at least for babies, although pink has become very trendy of late for boys. Little did I know that dogs is an unofficial boy theme and cats are for girls. Several of the outfits in pink or purple sported cats and none of Ivan's do. He probably has a dozen outfits with dogs on them though. Other themes I noticed include:

For boys: trains, cars, construction, sports, dogs, dinosaurs, "boy characters" like spiderman, the hulk and even snoopy...

For girls: butterflies, cats, flowers, bears, hearts, "girl characters" like the power puff girls, barbie, princess...

It's just funny to me the distinctions we make. I was going to give an example by adding a pic of Ivan and Myka and as I looked back, there is one from 3 posts ago and almost every other pic we have! I have an African friend who was trying to buy clothes for her son and daughter. She picked out pink running shoes for the boy and green yoda star wars shoes for her girl. I had to tell her they wouldn't work. I think the Africans are more free in a way. In some villages, everyone just wears a wrap around their waist and the kids go in diapers or underwear. The prints are the same for both sexes, crazy, wild and full of color! Of course, in the cities and more wealthy African countries, more western wear is the norm.

So, what is your prefered clothing style? Do you like to dress up? Do you fit the North American color and theme expectations?

3 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

So, what is your prefered clothing style? jeans and t-shirt, sweater or tank top depending on the temp.
Do you like to dress up? no
Do you fit the North American color and theme expectations? not really. I don't wear pink and pastels are horrid on me, but lucky for me, natural colors came into style and that fits me great. I also don't like character or message type shirts. Just plain for me ;) I call my look timeless, but Brian says my clothes are old, (so what if I've had some since high school)!

GMS said...

Preferred clothing -- sweats
Dress up -- NO!!!
don't fit any real theme; do like purple and butterflies, though.
Some of my clothes are from high school and college and that's longer ago than Angela's.

Lady J said...

Prefered clothing--jeans and casual top
Dress up--you bet! since I don't for work it's fun when I go out
Fit the norm--I guess I do. I like Wrangler jeans, western garb and I do own a cowboy hat...what could be more western than that!?
Old clothes--most of my clothes are not new, but not high school old either!!!
God bless you Ange for still bein able to fit into anything you owned in highschool (I can't!) If you can fit into it, you should be allowed to wear it!!!