Tuesday, March 21, 2006

For the record

I have been fascinated with biology since I first studied it in high school. I'm sure my vast array of cultural pooling that went into forming me has a part in this. Likewise I'm fascinated by cultures and our little quirks. For example, in North America, if people were given a picture of my family, the first thing they would notice about me is that I have my mother's coloring, so they would say I look like my mom. In Africa and Jamaica, where darker skin tones are the norm, they are more in tune with facial features and may say I favor my dad. In Benin, West Africa, I was once mistaken for a short, blond haired, blue eyed friend of mine. I could not imagine how this could happen, but it did!

I had a weird thing happen to me as an adult. I was looking behind my ear for some long forgotten reason. It was pretty hard to do and required a couple of mirrors, but when I finally saw the back of my ear, I was shocked to find it had a freckle. I ran to my dad in the other room to tell him of my discovery and he knew I had a freckle behind my ear and that it had always been there. I'm not sure why this admittance affected me like it did, but I was mortified that I'd had this freckle on my body my entire life and didn't know about it!

So, I'm making it official. Ivan has a funny freckle too. Funny in that it's on the front of his ankle! What a weird place for a freckle. You can just imagine now the hunt as we have children, to see what freckles they may develop! I also have a freckle on my right palm and it looks identical to the one on Shanna, on her same hand. (She's my little sister with Big Brothers and Sisters. We discovered our matching freckles one of the first times we were together and somehow felt this was a true linking as sisters, due to our identical hands!)

Another fun discovery of family genetics was the discovery of my ear shape origin. I have pointy ears. Some nicknamed me Spock in elementary school because of it. I spent years trying to find out where my ears came from. They were unlike my siblings, my mom and dad or either of their parents. I looked through family pictures, never finding my ears. Then one day, I visited my great aunt in North Dakota and found my ear on a man in a black and white photo hanging on her wall. I ran to her asking her who the man was. He was my dad's, mom's, dad. My great-grandfather. His pointy ear shape skipped past his daughter and her son to hit me! Wow! Amazing isn't it? OK, maybe you don't think so, but I do.

Do you have any discoveries about the providence of your body's uniqueness? We have determined so far that Ivan definitely pools from a more vast source than we can imagine. At first he looked like my mom, then sometimes he looks to me like Brian's mom. Do you see any features in him from someone in particular?

4 comments:

GMS said...

Grandpa Ray thinks that Ivan looks just like him when he was a little boy. I'll have to wait to make a decision until I see a picture to prove it.
I was trying to find a picture of your pointy ears, Angela, but every one I found either your hair is covering your ears or the picture cuts the top of your ear off. You'll have to show us one.

Anonymous said...

Very cute pictures of Ivan and you. Of course his Dad is looking great too.

Now, I have a frackle on my belly. How about that. I have some more on my arms but they are tiny. Oh, and I have one on my right cheek.

Anonymous said...

I always thought when i first saw Ivan that he looked so much like your brother. Now as he gets older he looks more like Brian but still has a lot of your family. I have always found what we look like to be interesting. Myself, being adopted, i always had a bit of a hard time accepting the fact that i did not look like my family. and it was even worse when i had no one to compare myself too. I loved when Harley was born and found !Yeah! someone who looks like me! Funnier still how so many people said how much she looks like her grandma! Jac looks a lot like her dad but for anyone who does not know him they only see me. How odd! Like you said about different cultures, it is all in the eye of the beholder. Love Ya

Madame Angela Baggett said...

GMS- I know Ivan's first baby pic was a duplicate of Brian's, so I wouldn't doubt if it goes back to Ray!

Andrea- I have a freckle on my left cheek and a new one on my neck!

Lin- this is hillarious, I didn't notice you looked different from your family until I thought of it now as you mentioned it! And I forget you're adopted! I've never asked you how you felt about it. We'll have to talk :) And here I thought I looked different, I've never thought what it would be like to be you!