Wednesday, March 08, 2006

a movie date



I got a movie from the library on the Serengeti. We watched it in Spanish. Ivan loved all the animals and called them all dogs. It's funny as he learns the sounds of all these animals that he rarely or never sees. He does sounds for dogs, cats (that's a given) and horses so far. Out of all the things he could learn, it does seem weird to me... Wouldn't numbers, colors or other vocabulary be more useful? But his interest is animals and he wants to know their sounds, so that is what we practice! I guess if a color made a sound, had personality and even animation, it would be far more interesting to him. In fact, he plays a game on the fisher price web site where shapes in various colors bounce, slide, divide and multiply and make sounds- he gets all excited and dances to the game cheerily pounding on the keys to make them continue their merry movements.

I guess this is what I'd look like with twins! More power to mother's of twins, I don't know how they do it! Brian thought it would be cool to have twins, but I can't imagine. I know there are precious things about twins, but I like having them one at a time! We saw supernanny the other night. The mother age 33 had out of control kids, a 7 year old girl, twin boys age 5, and twin boys age 4, plus she was going to school. It was insane. I can see where things could quickly get out of hand with multiples. I didn't realize how long and how much effort it takes to teach things like picking up after himself or potty training. Let me tell you, I'll be happy when Ivan is independantly successful in the toilet arena, but changing that diaper is WAY easier and faster than teaching him this new and exciting world of the big boy potty. It's a good thing that the joys of seeing my child triumph balances out and even eclipses the effort required, so that I am as determined to see success as much as he is determined to unroll the toilet paper before I catch him!

3 comments:

GMS said...

Since Ivan has grown up with "dog" and "cat" and interacted with them almost since birth, he will probably always appreciate animals in general more than the average child who might grow up with TV or inanimate objects.
Maybe he'll end up in some line of animal work or on a nature preserve.
It will be interesting to continue to observe his development and growth.

Jenni said...

So cute! I just love hearing about all the things Ivan is learning!

Lady J said...

Rest assured you will get your linguist with your daughter!!! Girls seem to accel at language based education, whereas boys seem to enjoy the rough stuff,and anything that makes noise!!! Hence the animals sounds! Harrison is 31/2 yrs old and still has very little interest in numbers and letters, and so far only recognizes the number 3 (for his age) and the letter H (for his name!). He is getting better at colors and shapes though! As for the potty thing...that was a one time deal only and has not used it on his own since! I think you are getting ahead of yourself...but you get extra points for wishful thinking though!!!! Good luck, since I truely know how hard and long that road can be...I'm livin it sista!!!