Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Nesting



I stole this idea from my PREGNANT sister, Jenn who posted pics of a baby at her baby's developmental stage. But when I went online to find pics of babies at 26 weeks, I was shocked to see they are all grown! I knew time was going fast and have read some development sites, but it just hit me recently that we don't have long to go. I'm in the last trimester and made a list of projects to finish before the baby arrives and I have to do about one a week to be done on time, yikes!

They call it nesting. Some women clean, knit, sew or bake, but somewhere along the lines, my wires must have gotten crossed, because I pull out the jig saw and paint and build things. Well, so far, I've made the letters for our daughters name out of cardboard and felt (which required a lot of glue and even some sewing). Now that the Betty Crocker in me is satisfied, out comes Tim the Toolman Taylor.

We are going to move Ivan into the front room, but decided it needed to look fun too, like the baby room, so we are going to paint, make another shuttered picture and um... some... other... furniture. The thing is, I'm not willing to stick a thousand dollar toy box that will hold all of three toys in Ivan's room (I saw it on some hoity-toity site with a fancy name, can you believe it!!!) Shasha calls me ghetto for making things home-made. Brian says I'm cheap and can't compare everything to my first car ($500- Toyota, ran all over or small wooden, UNFINISHED box?) So, I'm building a reading nook/toy box/book shelf all in one.

I'm not sure if I'm nesting or crazy, 'cause I've never actually built a piece of furniture, but dad made our bunk beds and grandpa always said he'd built 7 barns, so I'm hoping it will come naturally??? Prayers are appreciated.

I'm also working on her clock and some other stuff. I was told that I have to do all the same things that I did for Ivan for each of my children and have taken on the challenge!

5 comments:

GMS said...

Maybe you'll have Ivan's help in all your projects.
That way, he'll feel a part of the whole process.
Does he get a big boy bed yet?

Heimdahl said...

Go for it ... the projects get better after each one is complete or at least when you say "no more! I'm done with you!" It is kind of an exorcism thing with projects not really a completion.
Andrew

jenn with two n's said...

Love the pics. Isn't it amazing? My students keep asking and wondering. One little girl stuffed a bathing suit under her shirt and said that she was having a baby. They often ask how the baby is doing. I love your projects but wow you're ambitious. Of course I'm still in the first trimester...I could sleep all the time...anywhere...anyplace.
Love ya

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Ivan will be moving into the front room with the big bed, but I'm not sure when. We'll have the baby in our room for the first several months and it may be tough to move him, then do something different with company here, so I'm thinking we will keep him in his room until the baby is a month or older and see if he'll gravitate toward the big one, first with naps? Any counsel anyone?

I'm just hoping the projects get done. I did work some at it last night, but all day I've been so tired it was scary. So I'm going to hit the hay early and hope for time another day.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Angela, you are great! It's amazing that you pull off something like that. Way to go! Hope it works out well.

Though I have no child I would say you should start with naps for Ivan to get used to the bigger bed. You will see how he reacts to it.