Thursday, March 30, 2006

oh,oh, Canadianism

Not so long ago, I posted about prejudices, which are oh, so easy to see in others, but much more difficult to swallow when it's in ourselves. I discovered a prejudice stemming from my Canadian roots. We have this cool shirt from Canada that we love to dress Ivan in. I feel some pride when he wears it and remember as we go that he is part Canadian.

Then I found this shirt in his drawer and my first thought was: "propaganda". Why was the Canada shirt good natured nationalism and cute and the USA shirt "propaganda". Sorry to all my American friends, I've been found out! I think this is a real attitude in Canada, any flag waving or national pride we see as good, but look to our neighbors in the South and think it's imposing, threatening or overly commercialized.

While Canada does not wave it's flag near as much as American's, Brian was quick to point out all the maple leafs in logos and even on my parent's mailbox! Touché. He also said that Canada's flag is cool and makes for a great logo. Oh, yeah... go Canada!

Well Ivan has a shirt to wear both Canada day and the fourth of July (notice the subdued American reference to the holiday and the more blatant Canadian one! This is so shocking to me!) Of course, I'm sure my Canadian family is still rooting for our girl to be born early on July 1st and my American family is hoping for a day late on July 4th. All I have to say is, both countries have their good sides and bad. No place is perfect and we shouldn't place so much emphasis on who is better. We are all equals no matter where we were born or where we live. In fact, our diversity of thought, cultures and languages adds beautiful dimensions to life and gives it so much spice, interest and adventure. Due to this realization, I SHOULD be equally happy if she is born on the American holiday or Canadian one, but then she may choose something like the 2nd of July and quiet this little rivalry once and for all. Really, Brian has the best philosophy. Why pick one or the other to celebrate? Party the 1st THROUGH the 4th. Life is too short for squabbles, but attitudes and deep rooted impressions are hard to break!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wohooo, way to go! I hope for a date that it non of the Celebration Days. It would be a bit too much, wouldn't it me. But in the end, it is on her to decide, right?!

So this Canada Shirt seems very familiar, I have the same, just in red and a bit bigger. *g*

GMS said...

My first baby was due July 1st and not born till
July 12th; but, I would imagine, you don't want to hear that. Of course, it would give you more time for nesting projects.

Anonymous said...

Ok I am canadian but i am still hoping for Bastille Day. Of course, the fact that this is my b'day might have a little to do with it. But only a little. I am totaly rooting for her french roots to come out, yeah that's it. Whatever she decides I am sure Lin would be a wonderful middle name (hint,hint) lol. Well whatever day she decides to show up will be wonderful. And no matter what i am sure her canadian side will shine thru. I mean you may have the accent ang, but i still hear the "eh" love ya!

Kimberley said...

I've been trying to think of a way to word my comment so as not to offend any nationalities. I think perhaps that Canadians view American patriotism differently than our own because we are outnumbered 10 - 1!

Since Canada is a very large country geographically, but small in population, we use our maple leaf as a means to recognize each other. I remember when I was in Paris in 1988, we on on the metro and a woman with her 2 daughters came over to speak to us. She saw the "University of Saskatchewan" sweatshirt that my friend was wearing and she knew that we were fellow countrymen.

I have more to say, but will save it for my own blog.

BTW - as for Baby Baggett #2, I think that no matter what we may say or want, she'll decide on her own what day to be born. :-)

Kimberley said...

I forgot to say one thing:
You may see the maple leaf everywhere in Canada (in company logos, on mailboxes), but you don't very often see the beaver!