Saturday, December 10, 2011
from chairs to beds...
These were chairs that were given to us as a vestige from Brian's past. He grew up with these chairs and matching table. Unfortunately the chairs were getting damaged. The seats needed to be recovered again, but the mesh backs were disintegrating, plus they were very bulky for the space we had, so I thought I'd use them and the mattress supports from a day bed to build a couple of beds for the girls.
First I took apart the 4 chairs and cut out the mesh back. I used a jigsaw to cut off parts not needed, recovered the seats and then recruited Brian. I had a hard time screwing pieces together and so did he. We quickly discovered that oak is very hard wood and went through lots of drill bits, but after much effort, we managed to make some durable pieces. I really should have been more attentive to detail and done lots more work to finish them nicer, but lost motivation in that regards and was moving on to another project.
Dominique's is pink. It has the seat part of the chairs as further support on the end of the bed.
With Emora's blue bed, I used the arms from the one arm chair we had to make a foot board also. Her's was a lot harder since the mattress support was shorter than the mattress, meaning that I had to add some extra pieces to the length to make the mattress fit. I also used two side pieces that we had left over when we took our bunk bed apart to make Ivan's bed and the guest bed. I stained the length pieces so they would match better.
The head boards arch away from the wall, which gives a perfect spot for Emora's nighlight. It is so pretty lit up at night.
Posted by Madame Angela Baggett at 7:03 PM